Sidewalk Reinforcement

Page 2 of 2

Concrete mesh wire reinforcing is a lot cheaper than the fibered concrete and it works a lot better in the end as well to make a stronger pad. What are you planning to do for the joints between the stepping stones? You will get weed growth through them if you don't do some sort of mortar fill. Don't overwork it or you'll also make it weak. Just let the cream come to the surface, float it just enough to recess the larger rocks, and then broom finish. I assume you have the edger tools and bull float and others necessary for the job? If not, you'll need to either rent or buy them. Add that to your expense. Have you already purchased a cement mixer or are you renting one? A decent cement mixer that can stand up to the job you're describing isn't cheap and it won't be electric operated. So, if you've got one of those little electric mortar mixers, think again. It won't be sturdy enough to get through a job like that without a burned out motor. And mixing up more than 3 bags at a time by hand can give you more of a workout than you ever dreamed.
Really and truly, its a LOT easier to just get your buddies together with beer and pizza and their wheelbarrows and call in a truck. When we did our initial foundation pour for our 30'x54' garage (during the year with record rainfall, natch) 4 guys and their wheelbarrows and acouple of ramps to keep everything out of the mud worked great and it got done. Thank goodness by the time the slab was ready to be poured the rain had somewhat subsided and the truck could actually get to the construction site. Thank goodness, because it took 5 truck's worth! (Yes, we dogged the slab and the foundation together with rebar, way over code too.)
If you don't have enough buddies with wheelbarrows, you can hire day labor to do the gruntwork and just supervise and do the finish work. You'll be miles ahead even on expenses still.
Not to mention your aching back. And, that's a point I really and truly want to stress. Are you someone that can afford to take off a long period of work if you do injure your back? Because although lugging around 80 lb sacks of concrete isn't going to kill anyone that's physically fit, doing so repetitively and with the improper body mechanics can lead to a ruptured disk and a lifetime of pain or disability. Are you wearing a back brace? If not, you're foolish! I ought to know. This past year I had 3 surgeries in 5 months time all because I was foolish enough to think that I was young and strong and could do just about anything and that I had more time than money. Well, 3 surgeries later, I still have more time than money for projects, but I work smarter and not harder, and that's the key to both a successfull project and a healthy body. If you do insist on doing this project yourself, at least wear a back brace and warm up the muscles before lifting and lift with the legs. Make sure you know how to pick up and set down the sacks without straining your back, as those are the stress times. Watch out if you're mixing by hand, as that can lead to severe tendonitis. Yes, I've had that from pouring stepping stones as well and it lasted a whole year before I could do much of anything that didn't hurt me again. Do learn from my mistakes at least. If I need more than one stepping stone (and I'm talking 1 bag of concrete here, not 10+) then I'll call in a mini truck and do small walk instead. It's more expensive, but let me tell you, I'm STILL paying off those surgeries, and I'd much rather pay a cement driver and the pizza guy or a temp agency than a surgeon!
There's not much to do with concrete these guys don't know about. www.monolithic.com You might try posting on one of their bulletin boards.
Or try http://www.cement.org /

The pro's (I assume) that did the concrete garage floor in the house 2 doors down, used a Bobcat, with a bucket, to move the concrete from the street inside to the back of the garage.
That is a powered alternative to lots of wheel barrow trips.
If your going to be using 10-12 bags at a time, look into mixing your own concrete out of gravel, sand and cement vs bags of ready mix.
John Hines wrote:

A good cost savings??

That is the kind of thing you have to check locally. Basically sand and gravel are free, it is the delivery you pay for and YMMV on that.