Sidelight question

I have sidelights on either side of my front door - the glass pane is app. 7 ft in length. I'm about to replace the sidelight and I noticed that the plastic (i think) frame that holds the glass in place has a cut in it that divides the frame into two pieces. The cut does not look like it was done in a factory or anything - it is a little rough, so I am assuming that the installer cut the frame.

We get a lot of sunlight on that side of the house. Is the cut there to allow for expansion of glass/frame? When I install the new frame and glass, should I cut the new frame too? The house is 17 yrs old, so is this no longer needed with the new materials that have been developed since then?

Reply to
mksanny

Jim Conway

The cuts looks too symmetrical for it to be cracks. The cut appear at the same distance on each side of frame and they are perfectly horizontal.

Reply to
mksanny

Maybe the cut was done to help remove the frame at some point to replace the glass?

Reply to
Abe

Not likely. There are screws that you can unscrew from inside the house that removes the frame.

Reply to
mksanny