side discharge AC compressor questions

Hi,
I am looking for AC units that have side discharge compressors and (hopefully) smaller foot prints. I live in So. Cal. and have little room for adding this equipment. So far, I have only found a BARD which is only rated 10 SEER and Carrier which has good energy efficiency, but costs $$$$$.
Any other units to consider? Lennox has a 24" square up fan (hs29 - elite) that with the necessary clearance is my only other option.
I currently do not have AC and do not expect to run this often.
tia
Joe wrote:

AFAIK, the only companies making horizontal discharge condensers are Bard and Carrier (commercial). Sounds like you are on top of it.
http://www.johnmills.net/compare/outdoorunits.htm
Another option is a mini-split. Search google.

Trane makes some that are square discharge, meaning the air is discharged all around the unit instead of up or all in one direction...
HTH