Side by Side Refridgerator not getting enough water to it?

I have a Kitchen Aid side by side KitchenAid Superba

ksrs25fgbt01

and it is not getting enough water to the back. I have had a problem with the ice tube freezing up so I thawed it and then when that didn't help I went and took the supply line off. Not much water coming out just like a fast drip. So I went to check the saddle valve I had in the basement to see if it had clogged up. I took it off and the water poured out. So I am guessing I have some kind of blockage in the pipe. It was in the house when I got it ( about 6 yr old house) so I doubt the pipe is bad. I am not real handy so should I get a plumber to run a new line. Shut off water and try to blow out the pipe. Even after shutting off the water main in the basement water pours out of the pipe that was drilled into so that would be pretty hard to blow out. Ideas ?? Thanks for any help or ideas.

Reply to
Bob Fallona

Hi Bob,

I'm wondering if your saddle valve was by any chance mounted to the bottom of the water pipe? If so, the connection'll collect sediment and clog.

Will probably clog the screen inside the refrig. fill valve - I'd check this anyway. Your valve (part #4389177) can be disassembled and cleaned by removing the 4 screws at its inlet. (This is the plastic valve to which the 1/4" line connects, on the back of the refrig. Has a fine screen inside that can clog pretty readily, especially if the saddle valve's conn'd to the bottom of that pipe.

If your SV was mounted to the pipe bottom, you can just leave it in place and mount another alongside, mounting it so the hole's on the top of the pipe, or the side if the bottom's not accessible.

With your (modular type) icemaker, a self-piercing SV is fine, no need to drill. I've used them for many years with no problems. My own has been installed and operating fine on well water for over 15 years! Just turn the handle closed firmly to get a good pierce in the copper pipe, and it'll work well.

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter. (Back issues now posted here too!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Hi,

Most common trouble makers for poor or slow fills are a clogged/bad shut off valve, fill valve is bad or entrance screen is clogged up, kinked water line. Tired/clogged filter will slow down the water pressure as well.

and water filter in front access grille for refrigerators made by Whirlpool, including some Kitchen Aid and Kenmore refrigerators.

Kinda rare to have a line clogg up....what type of a valve?...where was it installed on the pipe? On or near the bottom is a no-no....on the side or top is best. If a self piercing valve they have been a HUGE trouble maker in the last few years!!

Most appliance techs can help with this type of an problem and ?may? be cheaper than a plumber?!

inlet valve kit with new quick connections.

helps.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff