Shuttle Fuel Tank Design.

Page 3 of 3
Jim Yanik wrote:

Are you sure of that? It appears that the chunks that broke off on both the Challenger and on this flight occurred very early on--wouldn't think it would have gotten <that> hot that soon, but I don't know. First time I've heard of this hypothesis.
In alt.home.repair on Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:45:16 -0500 Duane Bozarth

I heard on a news show, not sure which, either what he said or that air in the foam expanded and broke off pieces.
Now that I post, I'm not sure if this is the current foam or the earlier foam. Oops.
meirman wrote:

I'll have to see what I can find on this...seems like some sort of non-destructive test could be used to eliminate voids if that were the root cause...

I live in Orlando,and the local paper (Orlando Sentinel)has had some very detained articles on this subject.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote: ...

Are they online?

very
Best one I've read so far.
http://tinyurl.com/cfkmt
CR

I haven't looked,but I suspect they are. www.orlandosentinel.com
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

a guy who works at NASA posted on rec.model.rocketry that they have considered and discarded such methods.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Sherman wrote:

Huh? What is a hairnet supposed to do?
--John
Sherman wrote:

Somehow I think they may have thought of it already. Just in case, though, give them a call. They'll probably be glad to hear from you.

There is no reason for the fuel tank to be insulated AFTER liftoff, some designs purposely have the insulation fall off at ignition.