Shuttle Fuel Tank Design.

Page 2 of 3
The truth of the matter is they already had a foam that performed perfectly well with no problems, but stopped using it because it wasn't "environmentally friendly"

I remember Dan Rather once saying on a news broadcast that each Shuttle launch releases enough ODM (Ozone depleting material) equal to 50,000 refridgerators loosing their freon (R-12 freon)

#I remember Dan Rather once saying on a news broadcast that each Shuttle #launch releases enough ODM (Ozone depleting material) equal to 50,000 #refridgerators loosing their freon (R-12 freon)
Which shows you how much of an idiot Dan is.
The combustion product of the main engines is water. It burns Liquid Oxygen and H2.
The combustion products of the solid engines are carbon dioxide and water, and maybe some nitrous byproducts due to the heat.
Cabron Dioxide is only marginally a greenhouse gas, but it's not R12. It would take a heck of a lot more to make 50K fridge worth of R12.
Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Fire Rumsfeld, secure Iraq\'s borders.
The "ODM" material was the foam, not the products of combustion. The foam was freon based, but it worked and didn't fall off on take off. It was replaced with an environmentally friendly material to appease who knows

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Ken Marsh) wrote in wrote:

agreed.
agreed.
The SRB exhaust is toxic and contains hydrochloric acid. You do NOT want to breathe it.
(ammonium perchlorate,powdered Aluminum,and HTPB [rubber binder]for SRB fuel)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

While the replacement foam has flaking problems, that doesn't mean the previous foam was "perfectly good". The old foam suffered more from problems with ice than the latest incarnation. Ice can cause as much damage to the tiles as can the foam.
The fact is that NASA has been relying on luck for a long time. Even going all the way back to the Mercury program, the margin for error was always small.
Mike
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:47:22 GMT, Ignoramus27279

Hey, Ignorant. The panty hose goes over the foam.

NASA engineers visited the local supermarket but failed to find pantyhose large enough. They thought they had a chance considering the obesity of the average American woman these days.

It dose make you wonder what is going on, Common sense would say stabilizing the foam would be the starting place. ( they should contact the Nerf Co) But Noooooooo will install all these really expensive cameras, so we can record we solved nothing but did manage to extend or high paying jobs. But the reality is China is trying to buy NASA right after they close the deal on Maytag and Union 76..
Sacramento Dave wrote:

You have to love the "bargaining chip" China announced recently. "We have nuclear weapons capable of reaching you."
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don\'t know
Sherman wrote:

There might be an air resistance issue, but that does sound like a good idea.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

It's too easy. It was the first think I thought about after the accident. There has to be something we don't know. The guys working on the thing are NOT stupid. It does seem weird though that they would have spent all that time and still have the problem. I sure would like to be able to be privy to their "discussions" about the problem. :)
Dave
In alt.home.repair on Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:52:53 GMT "Dave"

Right. Some girl on the radio thought of it too. So we know NASA thought of it.

Ductape would hold the whole thing together. Just keep going around and around until the whole thing is covered. Guaranteed to work. :-)
I still would not want to volunteer, even with ductape. One would have to be crazy or have a death-wish.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Are you kidding? Duct tape alone will not do it. You have to put a wrap of chicken wire first, then the duct tape.

Have you made the phone call to NASA yet? Any other design solutions in your grab bag? Be sure to pass them along too. MLD

And if the net-like material holds a broken piece of foam close to the tank, the resulting airflow inside the foam may rip off the remaining foam like a cutting jet. This isn't a trivial problem and isn't likely to be solved with a trivial solution.
Mike
Sherman wrote:

Both shuttles that blew up were launched under cold weather conditions in January. Then they launched this one during a heat wave. Maybe they should try to launch under moderate conditions, say during March or September.

It's not the ground temp,its moisture that accululates in voids in the foam that expands under aerodynamic heating during ascent that blows off chunks of foam.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik