Shuttle Fuel Tank Design.

Page 1 of 3
Isn't is obvious to the most clueless that the tanks to be covered with a hairnet or pantyhose type covering?
Surely there are dozens of materials that will withstand the heat and vibration of lift-off NOT reentry.....
I would have done that on day one. The idiots at NASA and spent a billion dollars and 2 and 1/2 years and they haven't figured it out yet.....
Sherman
That's exactly why we need government running less and interfering less and let private sector do what it does best. And just maybe private sector could actually make a profit

And do you think that the private sector would do this kind of thing without govt. subsidies (i.e., without the govt. taking our tax dollars and turning them over to private corporations)? How long do you think it would take for them to see any return for their investment?
Is there a law against private exploration of space? If not, then perhaps there isn't any because there's no profit to be made.
Perce
On 07/29/05 02:52 pm RBM tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

You need to look up "The spaceship company" a spin-off of the Virgin group. They are about to build commercial space craft and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they're not more successful than government efforts and I would assume they plan to make a profit

Virgin's is barely a spacecraft - suborbital tourism isn't the same thing as science and research. I've yet to hear anyone propose a profitable purpose for manned spacecraft.
Mike
I'm sure you can explain to us the billions in tax breaks just given to the oil industry.

To make a profit, you have to get paid for a product. Other than rich people who want to take a ride into space for a few days, where's the product?
Doug Kanter wrote:

<IF> you could get it reliable and cheap enough, there would bezero-gravity manufacturing processes that could take advantage...but I think it would take order-of-magnitude improvement in cost than at present to probably make it pay...
Also a service could make a profit. The profit is calculated by how much money made over what it costs to provide the service. It's how I make my living.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?
The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.
In alt.home.repair on Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:22:31 GMT "Doug Kanter"

less than a few days. Have you heard of longer?

Or line the INSIDE of the tank with foam.
-Frank
--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here\'s some of my work:

I gotta admit - this sounds like a plausible solution. I've always wondered why the put the foam on the outside - the weakest material in the most exposed position.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

adds too much weight.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Maybe the foam will not hold up under -473 degF temps.of LH2.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Likely. Notice it's not even holding up at 72 deg F.
-Frank
--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here\'s some of my work:
Sherman writes:

Yeah. And airplanes should have parachutes so they never crash.

Some commercial airplanes DO come with parachutes,and they do work! (save lives,not the aircraft)
http://www.brsparachutes.com/history.html
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The requirements for the material probably incude being very light, and also low thermal conductivity. The purpose of that foam is to keep liquid hydrogen cool before liftoff. I do not think that the "idiots at NASA" (your words) would have a very easy time finding an alternative to some type of foam.