Shut off water when washer not in use?

They are exactly what you described and also inexpensive. One quick motion and the water is off. Those valves have become really common in the past maybe 15 years or so. I don't think I have ever seen new construction or remodeling where they weren't used. The local real supply house has them in the area right behind the counter with the other commonly sold stuff.

Reply to
George

I've got mine!

Reply to
salty

Exactly, if you're handy you can put it in yourself. As noted below--a one finger flip and both the hot and cold water are shutoff. A real cheap solution- All these guys who say "Never" are going to eat their words one day. MLD

Reply to
MLD

The neighbor across the street went on a 3-week vacation to come back to an ice-maker line burst. Ruined the carpeting, flooring, and basement ceiling, total $16K back in 1996. Insurance covered most of the cost, but nobody needs the hassle. Some folks turn off the main water supply before leaving for vacation.

Reply to
Phisherman

Back in the 70's the ruptured toilet line happened to my boss while he was on vacation - in that case the repair cost was under $4K.

In our case the insurance co. paid the company that did the cleanup about $8K, then paid another company $3K or $4K to do some of the work I couldn't handle, and paid me another $14.5K to settle the claim. We used the money to upgrade to engineered hardwood flooring to replace carpeting in the bedrooms, living room, back hall and family room, and ceramic tile to replace vinyl in the bathrooms. We did all the installation and painting ourselves.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

A couple of years ago went on a 3 day vacation. Opened the front door and was greeted to the sound of running water. Toilet flapper had a small leak and when the water got low enough it refilled. One time the shutoff valve (float) stuck and the water never stopped running. Most was handled by the overflow tube and the rest came out the flush handle. Result--Two full bathrooms completely wiped out (one below the other), the bottom one right down to the bare studs including the tile floor. Total cost: $25,000, I paid $200 deductable. Now, even for overnight, I shut off the water supply--just the simple flip of a ball valve where the water enters the house. For almost 4 months--washed in the kitchen sink, showered in the up bathroom (tub) and used the toilet in the down bath. Never say Never! MLD

Reply to
MLD

The smart ones of us turn it off any time we leave the house.

Steve Barker DLT

I can tell you an icemaker story. A neighbor had GE service her refrigerator and right after they were done left town for 2 weeks. When she came back the house was flooded because the ice maker line had been damaged when the refrigerator was pushed back into position. The good part of the story is GE gave no arguement and paid to have her house repaired.... which was quite extensive.

Reply to
Art

I don't doubt it. None the less, the icemaker line normally presents a far smaller risk than the two 1/2 inch washer hoses and the washing machines internal plumbing.

Reply to
salty

Left the house without turning off the water!???? naughty, naughty.

Steve Barker DLT

The difference is probably about 1/4th the water per minute but it is getting spilled in a lot more expensive place.

Reply to
gfretwell

No, there are other differences that affect the likelyhood of simple failure, and your flow estimate is also wildly wrong.

Reply to
salty

Why is it wrong? 1/4" pipe is roughly 1/4 the circular mils of 1/2" pipe. (some refrigerators are plumbed with 3/8" to get better flow out of "water in the door")

Since a large number of icemakers are hooked up with vinyl tubing and the fridge itself is plumbed with vinyl tubing I see that as a greater risk.

Cabinet bases are very susceptible to damage and replacing all the base cabinets in a kitchen will be up in 5 figures. I don't see where I am wrong.

Reply to
gfretwell

I can't help you then. Sorry.

Reply to
salty

Flow is a function of the Area. A= f (D^2) So if you double the diameter you get 4 times the flow. MLD

Reply to
MLD