Shut off water when washer not in use?

Page 2 of 2

Phisherman wrote:

Back in the 70's the ruptured toilet line happened to my boss while he was on vacation - in that case the repair cost was under $4K.
In our case the insurance co. paid the company that did the cleanup about $8K, then paid another company $3K or $4K to do some of the work I couldn't handle, and paid me another $14.5K to settle the claim. We used the money to upgrade to engineered hardwood flooring to replace carpeting in the bedrooms, living room, back hall and family room, and ceramic tile to replace vinyl in the bathrooms. We did all the installation and painting ourselves.
--Steve

A couple of years ago went on a 3 day vacation. Opened the front door and was greeted to the sound of running water. Toilet flapper had a small leak and when the water got low enough it refilled. One time the shutoff valve (float) stuck and the water never stopped running. Most was handled by the overflow tube and the rest came out the flush handle. Result--Two full bathrooms completely wiped out (one below the other), the bottom one right down to the bare studs including the tile floor. Total cost: $25,000, I paid $200 deductable. Now, even for overnight, I shut off the water supply--just the simple flip of a ball valve where the water enters the house. For almost 4 months--washed in the kitchen sink, showered in the up bathroom (tub) and used the toilet in the down bath. Never say Never! MLD
The smart ones of us turn it off any time we leave the house.

Why not? Hoses fail regardless of their rating. Ever hear of water hammer? Every time you turn off your faucet there is some transient pressure spike in your system. At some point in time there is always the potential of a hose failure after it has been subjected to (weakened by) these high pressure pulses. Get yourself a single lever Watts valve. Gas line is under low pressure but what's the harm in shutting off the supply to the dryer/ I have a ball type valve in the line right next to the dryer. MLD

Like this? http://www.pexsupply.com/Categories.asp?cID=610&brandid =
First I heard of this. Interesting. Convenient. Cheap insurance.
Jerry
Jerry wrote:

They are exactly what you described and also inexpensive. One quick motion and the water is off. Those valves have become really common in the past maybe 15 years or so. I don't think I have ever seen new construction or remodeling where they weren't used. The local real supply house has them in the area right behind the counter with the other commonly sold stuff.

I've got mine!

Exactly, if you're handy you can put it in yourself. As noted below--a one finger flip and both the hot and cold water are shutoff. A real cheap solution- All these guys who say "Never" are going to eat their words one day. MLD

If the hoses are old then turning the water off each time is a good idea. Replacing the hoses is even better.
Aaron Fude wrote:

Get some better hoses (they do make them) and be done with it.
Gas line no problem.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

anything can break at any time, messing with valves constantly can lead to them failing too.
your water heater can start lkeaking too at any time
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yes, the earth can open up and suck you in. But a good hose is no more likely to break than the water pipes.
--
Claude Hopper ف ٣ :) ⅞

Aaron wrote:

Yes, it is a good idea. The metal braided lines will last longer than the rubber hoses. I installed a one-lever shut off valve, about $20. The gas line should have a shut off value nearby, but it is not necessary to close off this (low-pressure) valve.
Aaron Fude wrote:

There may be some truth in it. But in my whole life I never did that and never experienced bursted hose. Anyway our washer is located in the basement right next to floor drain if it ever bursts. If you think about gas dryer, how about gas fire place, gas range, gas furnace, list goes on.

Thanks for the reminder, its time to replace my 11 year old hoses. A good stainless steel hose under 5 years old should not require the hassle of getting under the laundry tub to turn a valve every time you want to do the laundry. But watch out when they get old.