Shut Off Valves

I'm plumbing in the kitchen and getting to the sink. It's all going CPVC to braided line.

I don't want to have future trouble with the shutoff valves. Is there any difference between the 1/4 turn and the multi turn? The multi turn I have has a plastic stem, I'm suspicious.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

quarter turn are usually ball valves, some people prefer them (I've been using them lately and like them, but don't have long term experience with them.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Based on 40 years experience with these terrible little creatures, pay the extra buck or two for the quarter turn ones.

Those cheap Chinese plastic stem multi-turn ones are good for one turn off after 5 years if you are really lucky.

Reply to
Colbyt

I'm sold on the 1/4 turn ball valves. I installed one on my water heater cold supply line 6 years ago. When I used it to replace the water heater this year, it worked as I expected. The other one I installed was a new hose bib and used the 1/4 turn. Makes turning the water on/off so simple.

The ball is stainless steel and the housing is brass.

Reply to
Oren

I wish they had one of those 1/4 turn valves available in my town that had two outs: one for dishwater and one for hot water. There are only two hardware stores here. I should have driven to the big city. I settled on a multiturn but I bet it seizes in 5 years.

Reply to
The Henchman

If they make quarter turn valves you can put in the CPVC, I'd think that's the way to go. Seems like a good way to go. Simple, dependable, etc.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's a done deal. I headed back to Lowes and got a Keeney 1/4 turn. It takes a 1/2" brass nipple to one of those "dog eared" 90's with a metal pipe thread and CPVC on the other side. A ridiculous amount of money, but I feel good about it! I don't want to have trouble.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Actually, it was a BrassCraft, made in the USA. Still, looks like junk compared to the 1/4 turn I bought to replace it. It never was a matter of money, it was a matter of connecting it all up. Plumbing is an art, in my opinion!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Tip: After opening a multi-turn valve all the way, close the valve 1/4 turn. This gives you some "wiggle room" if it ever does corrode shut.

Reply to
HeyBub

"Colbyt" wrote in news:69ydnR2i-pp8eyXRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

...using vise grips or the like,