Shrinking shingles

When did they shrink 3-tab shingles?
I had an bundle from about 2 years ago that I bought to fix a few blow- offs. Needed more to re-roof the SW slope before winter, so I went to Home Depot, got 6 bundles of the same SKU, same color, same brand shingles.
The new shingles are at least an inch shorter, and 2 inches narrower, than the old shingles! What a surprise when you get to the middle of the row and discover the difference.
Evidently this is more of that "ice cream container" marketing. The bundles I bought two years ago were $25.xx, and the new bundles were $22.xx. I was expecting to pay at least $30 a bundle given the rise in cost of petroleum products. Now I know why they were so cheap.
I really don't care, they cover the roof and are hopefully waterproof. It was just a surprise to find two different sized shingles.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 19, 10:13 am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Shingles are available in metric sizes, slightly larger than standard. perhaps this is what explains the difference.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

That sounds wrong-- I thought shingles were a standard size. I'd check with HD and/or the mfr.
Add pictures here
✖

But - the ice cream makers left the price the same, effectively raising the price per unit, with NO notice to customers. They figured no one would notice. It's an insult to one's intelligence to pull such a deceitful trick.-
Add pictures here
✖

BTW - Breyers did the same thing AGAIN recently, Their half-gallon 'bricks' are now 1 1/2 quarts, with the price still at the half-gallon level.
Add pictures here
✖

.
Yeah and 'one gallon' cans of paint! An Imperial gallon is about 4.5 litres. But a US gallon is about 3.8 litres. That's a difference of almost 20%!.
Add pictures here
✖

You have by now learned that the original shingles were metric and the newest ones you bought are standard shingles. Been that way for years.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.