shrink wrap storm windows?

Has anybody had any experience with using those shrink wrap polyolefin interior storm windows?
Either the DIY style, like http://www.ehow.com/way_5369715_diy-interior-storm-windows.html
Or the commercial types, like http://www.windotherm.com/engineeringtests.htm , one of many similar products out there.
TimR wrote the following:

windows from a roll of the clear wrapping plastic that you see being spun around a pallet of boxes, etc. Using a digital thermal measurer, there was about a 5 degree increase in surface temp on the interior glass with the film than the one without. I recently replaced the film with 1/8" plastic acrylic sheeting.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I plan to make this my summer project in preparation for next winter. I tried just attaching shrink-wrap to our steel-casement windows a couple winters ago, but it wasn't really very effective. Attaching the shink wrap to a tight-fitting frame might be the ticket.
Thanks for the link.
Mike
This isn't sounding good. The first two replies fail to report any decent results. If this keeps up maybe I won't waste the effort.
Maybe I need to build something more substantial with real panes.

...or replace the windows.
Even if you build "something more substantial with real panes" you'll need a way to seal them to the windows. If you don't create a dead-air space, you won't gain anything.
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:02:49 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Our back door just had single-glazing. I found a whole bunch of storm windows with aluminum frames at the local building recyclers - nice thing about those is that the frames come apart and can be cut (along with their rubber seals) to whatever size you want.
I made a new frame the right size for that back door, cut the glass, then put some foam sealant on the 'new' frame and screwed it directly to the door. Works a treat (we used to get ice on the inside of the glass in winter prior to that :-)
Total job only took me about 30 minutes, and the original storm windows were only 50 cents each...
cheers
Jules
TimR wrote the following:

5 degrees per window isn't a decent result? What did you expect with film?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
camryguy wrote the following:

be reversed to open in from the top or bottom. The film was on the outside of the window frame and was taped to the frame. I couldn't put it on the inside because the latch was in the way. There is also a bug screen outside that protects the film from flying stones or other debris when mowing. The film never deteriorated or became damaged. I did replace the film with a more permanent acrylic sheet that fit nicely into a recess around the outside of the frame. But still, the film did provide enough of a difference in temps for me to buy the acrylic sheets.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I've used the shrink-wrap and tape inside storms on a dwindling number of windows each year. They work well, go up fairly easy, and eliminate all infiltration as they are supposed to.
As the windows get replaced with energy star- low-e thermopanes, the inside storms aren't worth the effort. [to me, anyway]
I'm down to one room that will get 3 new windows to replace the 100yr old windows with 70 year old aluminum storms this summer. I won't miss putting those shrink-wrap deals up anymore.
Jim