Shower water temp problem

Greetings. I can't seem to find an answer to this problem.

In the shower, regulating the temperature is an issue. Turn on the hot water, fine. Turn on the cold to balance the temperature, and the slightest turn of the cold-water valve gives us flat-out cold water; can't feel the hot at all. We're only turning the cold water valve less than a quarter turn. To get a balanced temperature (tolerable enough to actually take a shower) we have to turn the cold water valve toward "off" in 1/16-inch increments to get a good temperature. Even a

1/8-inch turn in either direction changes the temperature drastically. Once there's a balance, the water slowly gets hotter, necessitating that 1/16 adjustment to recapture the desired temperature. And when finished, turning the cold-water valve off shows that it's barely cracked open at all.

Happens to a lesser degree in the tub (different bathroom, other side of the house). Faucets in house don't exhibit the problem. Recently had a new hot-water heater installed, but can't see how that would cause this (neither can the plumber who installed it, who's competent and trustworthy). In the shower, he's replaced the washers, seals, and stems in an attempt to figure out what's wrong. No effect.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Shane

So you are the person using my bathroom when I am not home? :^)

Same problem, same attempted solution, also no joy. Decided to live with it until when/if I do a gut job on bathroom, and replace with a modern single-handle. They do sell retrofit kits, if you have access from behind the wall, and can tolerate the ugly bigass chrome trim panel they sell to cover the old faucet stem holes. If your tub surround could use fresh tile, this is a good excuse to get it over with. (I need to change the tub, too, and at that point may as well do the whole bathroom...)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Would you have room for one of these somewhere?

I put one on the outlet of my on demand water heater. It helped a lot with a similar problem. I set it to 110º.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If you turn on hot or cold, is the pressure similar, or is there a lot less pressure on the hot? If so, something might be obstructing the hot water somewhere. A partially closed or obstructed valve at the input of the heater, or an obstructed faucet valve. Does the problem happen in the other house faucets if you remove the flow restrictor on them? That would suggest the heater valve.

Reply to
Bob F

Turn down the heat on the water heater 'til the output is suitable for a shower. You'll save money, too.

Reply to
HeyBub

Just don't turn it below 130 degrees or you have a risk of Legionella

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe you should check the faucet washers in both the hoot and coldd valves. You appear to have two separate handles, and either washer could be loose and cause your problem.

Reply to
hrhofmann

And above 120° you run the risk of scalding.

No, best to not bathe at all.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:2e6dndchWYrJghzWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

The cutoff for water being too hot to hold your hand under is 60°C. That is close to 140°F. Now I don't like to shower anywhere close to that, but we are talking real scalding now. Also, never stand under the showerhead and then turn on the shower - the unexpected temperature (high or low) might cause you to jump, and that is not advisable in a shower. DAMHIKT!

As for saving money, I'm al for that, but my spouse likes the shower way hotter than I, so I'm not the one to decide how hot or cold is good.

Reply to
Han

valve.- Hide quoted text -

Pressure is similar and adequate.

Reply to
Shane

Not sure I understand this one -- the problem's with the cold water, not the hot.

Reply to
Shane

Plumber replaced washers, seats, and stems. Nothing.

Reply to
Shane

RE: "In the shower, regulating the temperature is an issue. Turn on the hot water, fine. Turn on the cold to balance the temperature, and the slightest turn of the cold-water valve gives us flat-out cold water; can't feel the hot at all."

I have never, not once, EVER - found a "one-knob" shower control that worked in a user-friendly manner.

It's either scalding, cold, or next-to-impossible to regulate the water temperature evenly with such devices.

In my opinion, the ONLY way to get shower (or sink) controls that easily, accurately, and intuitively regulate mixed water temperatures evenly and predictably is to use the old-fashioned "two-handle" solution with a "hot" faucet and a "cold" one, and then blend as needed.

- John

Reply to
John Albert

I have no problem at all regulating temp with my cheap single handle valve. The one I have also allows control of water volume, not just pressure. Not many do that.

Reply to
Bob F

"Bob F" wrote in news:hlruob$ukj$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I have a Delta that self-regulates the temperature once adjusted. You can flush the toilets and the temp stays the same. Somehow there is a counterbalancing thingamajigyy in the regulator that reduces the hot if the cold pressure drops.

Reply to
Han

What sort of hot water system is it? If it is instantaneous gas this is a sure sign the diaphragm that measures water flow pressure to regulate the gas flow and heat has failed and needs replacing. Also, as others have said, remove any flow restrictors if the system is instantaneous gas or electricity (rather than a storage system with a tank) as the system regulating the temp might not be able to detect the water flow.

Reply to
aussiblu

I think that is required by US law these days. I don't even know if standard two handle faucets are legal anymore.

Reply to
Bob F