Shower walls, flexible panels

I just bought a couple of those plastic (acrylic, I think) panels that are used for gluing over old tile or backerboard to create a new clean look for a shower.
These panels are 36" by 80" and flexible enough to roll for transport.
I will need to cut these panels to fit to the size of thes shower and also the holes for the control valve and shower nozzle.
The guy at Home Hardware said they could be cut with a utility knife. Does anyone have experience with these? Can they be cut this way or do I need a special tool to do the job ?
Also, the panels will extend over top of the tiles. What's the best material for shimming that section up?
And one last question. Do I need to prime the tiles? If so, what type of primer would I use?
Thanks,
Larry
GoHabsGo wrote:

I'd probably use my large tin snips.
Like http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/67-410-snips-tin/irwin-tinner-snips-229070.aspx
On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 15:42:45 +0000 (UTC), GoHabsGo

Whatever you do, dont roughly cut out the holes leaving any sharp corners, i.e., cut circles instead of squares.
The guy who did my house 11 years ago did a really bad job of cutting the holes and I now have fatique cracks extending outward, into the panel, from every sharp corner he left behind.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I've put up several of the tub surrounds that use these thin panels. They cut OK with a knife, but they are very slippery and a knife can skid and mark the surface, especially when making tight curved cuts. I use a hole saw or even a spade bit for the faucet holes, both methods work much better. Use a straight edge for the long cuts, and keep the waste to the knife side of the straight edge in case you slip.
--
Dennis

says...

THanks for the clear instructions, Dennis. When cutting with the knife, is the material soft enough to cut with one pass of the knife or does it take two or more passes?
Thanks,
Larry

I have also used that type of panel, usually a couple of passes are necessary to cut all the way thru. Us whatever glue the manufacturer recommends. Along the top I would use a paintable silicone based caulk, the more silicone the better. A lot depeds on how you are going to finish off the transition from plastic to whater is higher up on the wall over the itle.
DT wrote:

That's why I use the tin snips. Complete control.