shower vs tub

I am trying to layout the floorplan for a bathroom remodel. The bathroom had a tub & standalone shower. My question is if I can swap uses for the drains, using the old shower drain for the tub, and the old tub drain for the shower?

I would think this would be a nobrainer, but since I'm new to the world of plumbing, I thought I'd get some opinions...

Thanks, Jason

Reply to
Jason Young

Technically, the shower should be 2" and the tub 1 1/2". As a practical matter, it won't matter but you'll have to adapt for the different sizes. Of course, you'll have to watch the elevation of the trap(s). Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Unless you are ripping up the floor, the drain may be in wrong location. There are tubs with raised inside bottom allowing room for pipe to existing drain (like tubs at many RedRoof Inns).

It just takes some getting used to stepping down out of the tub, if you are used to tub and floor being at same level. You might also need to raise the shower head so it does not end up shoulder height.

Reply to
David Efflandt

You'd have to ask your inspector whether he'll accept the sizes. What I meant by the height is, for example, will the old tub trap be too high to set the shower base. Remember that you will have a

1 1/2" X 2" increaser fitting in between since the shower drain fitting will be 2".

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim