Shower valves in "older" house -- update

I had posted questions about how to replace shower valves in a house built in 1986 (not near "old" in CT, but nearing "old" in AZ). This house is new to me. I was able to find replacement parts. The valves are Symmons Temptrol, and I found new valve stems, a new body cap, new rebuild kits (for later), and new valve seats. The plumbing supply store ran out of the valve seats, so I replaced the valve stems and a body cap. I immediately noticed an increase in flow in the bathroom I use and also I could have hot water! The previous owners (or the owners before them) had screwed up the valve so that you couldn't turn it out far enough to get hot water. The valves still had to be shut quite hard to prevent them from leaking. However, new valve seats now mean that everything works great and not much force is required to shut off flow.

If you replace the seats, buy the tool made for this and ensure that the tool is seated very well. You have to tap on the tool, or else you risk stripping the seat and leaving it in there forever, or until you cut out the valve.

Reply to
Bob