Shower valves

I have read the boxes and the stuff on the website but nothing substitutes for a somple answer from someone who has one.
I understand that Thermostatic pressure balance shower valves have a limited range of temp, you can't get full hot or full cold no matter what.
But what about regular pressure balance valves.
Can you go to full hot and cold? (it just regulates at that temp better but you can at least get cold and hot)
Do these valves always run at full volume?
Most of the ones I've seen can go full cold to full hot, or at least very close. Most also have an adjustable stop screw to limit how far they can go toward "hot", as a safety measure.
Models are available with and without volume control.
To see some examples, Symmons' website is pretty good. Go to www.symmons.com and type "temptrol" into the search box, or just browse.
Eric Law