Shower too close to window

Hi, I just bought an old house which has an old bath tub. I want to replace it with a shower. The problem is the bathroom is small (5x6) and the shower head would be 1.5ft from the window. A friend suggests to replace it with glass blocks. Is there a better way to still keep the window and prevent it from being damaged by water? Your suggestions are appreciated.
Well, if you replace the shower head with glass blocks, nothing is going to be damaged (except someone's reputation I suppose). Seriously, no, a window and a shower that close are not compatible. The best solution might be to just close up the window and put in a fan. Or just live with the bathtub and the window, which is what I would do if I had a 5x6 bathroom.

donald girod wrote:

Actually I'm in the same boat, we just bought 25 acres with a very small old house that we are going to live in untill a new one is built next spring. It has a twin of your bath and we are putting in a shower head among other things. I thought to solve the window problem I would just get a second shower curtain or a couple of yards of that heavy soft clear stuff from the fabric dept. at WalMart and sew up some curtains for the window. Years ago they used to make shower curtain and window curtain sets for just this problem, but I guess they don't make them anymore.
We had an older home which also had a shower/tub unit with a window. We bought a inexpensive shower curtain and cut it down to size to cover the window. Never had any problems. In fact we just sold that house and the inspector thought for sure he was going to find water damage there but turned up nothing. So I suppose it worked just fine.

On 2 Jul 2003 21:05:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@your.hostname (First Last) wrote:

My parents have a 1950's ranch house with the same problem. The tub runs the full width of the room against the far wall, which is an outside wall with a window. They've always had a shower there, but rarely used it because of the window. (They have a rough-finished shower stall in the basement for non-tub users.)
Their solution to the window problem was to install a second shower rod and curtain along the outside wall. It's no different from the regular shower rod and curtain that protect the room from spray. When somebody uses that shower, they pull both shower curtains closed. They built the house from a purchased plan. I think if they had it to do over again, they'd have changed the plan to remove the window.
C. Brunner

Huh. I've got the same sort of set up, and frankly I love it. Several coats of high quality batroom enamel on the trim and a waterproof cover on the sill along with a reasonably recent replacement window is keeping the area nice and solid, and nothing beats a window for ventilation.
I'd say just seal up the edges as though the window was exposed to the weather and run with it.
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Ask me about joining the NRA.
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:03:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@westnet.poe.com wrote:

I agree with John.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Help keep down the world population...have your partner spayed or neutered.
On 2 Jul 2003 21:05:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@your.hostname (First Last) wrote:

On the same wall?...or a perpendicular wall?

Sure. Keep it waterproof with paint. And make sure the trim is caulked against the wall and under the sill.

Welcome!