Shower switch problem

Hi,

I know nothing about this type of stuff so hope someone can shed some light on the subject. My shower switch seems to have broken (the box with the cord that comes from the ceiling). This isn't the first time that this has happend which makes me wonder if replacing the box may not be enough. Could it be due to dodgy wiring or something similar. When I pull the cord, the light comes on but is very faint. Any ideas? How much would something like this cost to get replaced?

Thanks

Sion

Reply to
SIONEDWARDS

Tell us more about the light please. For openers, is it incandescent or flourescent?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I suggest trying uk.d-i-y This newsgroup is almost entirely US/Canada - at least with regard to electrical. There are surprisingly great differences with UK practices - bathrooms being one of them.

-- bud--

Reply to
Bud--

I agree w/ Bud on a more UK-specific group --

That said, the symptom of previous problems w/ the same switch/fixture and the "on but faint" are indeed, as you surmise, possibly the signs of a more insiduous problem -- certainly one that should be addressed. The dimness while yet on indicates a loose/poor connection that may be at the box there but could also be at the other end of the wiring supplying the box.

I'm going to suggest you may want to call in some help here if you're not much of a hand at this sort of thing...

Reply to
dpb

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Reply to
SIONEDWARDS

Good luck with it...hopefully you might know someone who is experienced in such matters.

If it is indeed a loose connection as sounds highly plausible, it does need looking after sooner rather than later as that can lead to overheating which obviously would be a hazard...

Reply to
dpb