shower stall strainer leaking

My shower stall was leaking. I purchased a new strainer, cut a hole in the ceiling, removed the old strainer and installed the new one. Well, it still leaks.
After some detective works, I found that it is leaking between the strainer and the gasket. The cross section of the system looks like the following:
strainer - rubber sleeve gasket - 2" drain pipe
At first, I was able to see faint light coming through from between the strainer and the gasket. No wonder it leaked. After twisting the gasket, I stopped seeing the light but it sill leaks.
What is the trick of adjusting the gasket so it won't leak? Thanks.

Gasket new?
Joe
Joe wrote:

Yes. The gasket came with the strainer.

A nice bead of silicone rtv .

Don't know how you replaced the strainer from below, they are installed from above. It sounds like you have a leak in the shower base, or under-tile-liner where the drain is installed. Depending on what you have and how it is built, it could be simple or impossible without rebuilding the shower floor.