shower stall strainer leaking

My shower stall was leaking. I purchased a new strainer, cut a hole in the ceiling, removed the old strainer and installed the new one. Well, it still leaks.

After some detective works, I found that it is leaking between the strainer and the gasket. The cross section of the system looks like the following:

strainer - rubber sleeve gasket - 2" drain pipe

At first, I was able to see faint light coming through from between the strainer and the gasket. No wonder it leaked. After twisting the gasket, I stopped seeing the light but it sill leaks.

What is the trick of adjusting the gasket so it won't leak? Thanks.

Reply to
John Smith

Gasket new?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Yes. The gasket came with the strainer.

Reply to
John Smith

Don't know how you replaced the strainer from below, they are installed from above. It sounds like you have a leak in the shower base, or under-tile-liner where the drain is installed. Depending on what you have and how it is built, it could be simple or impossible without rebuilding the shower floor.

Reply to
EXT

A nice bead of silicone rtv .

Reply to