Shower stall question

I'm building a small bathroom in my basement. It will have a shower stall, not a tub. But all the faucet fixtures for sale in the DIY stores sell fixtures with the tub faucets too, which for me will be a waste of money. Furthermore, it is the tub spigot that turns the showerhead on and off, right? So how does this work if I don't have a tub spigot? WIll I have to buy the full set and throw away the tub kit, and if so, how will the shower head be always "turned on"?

You aren't looking hard enough. Everyone sells shower-only faucet sets. e.g. Look for a Delta model 1323 at Home Depot (Store SKU #: 413320)
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 16:55:07 GMT, Old Fangled

On the other hand, having a spout that will deliver full-flow for filling buckets is frequently vary convenient. So having a tub-spout in a shower stall isn't as dumb as it might appear.
Although I'd go with a hose-bib if possible.

That's why I prefer the european style slide-bar with the faucet on the end of a 5 foot hose. Works great for showers, and handles buckets with aplomb :-)
46erjoe wrote:

All the mfr make a shower-only fixture. You can even buy just the valve(s) and add your own choice of shower head.
http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal/deltacom / look thru their bath selection as one example.
Jim

There are shower-only faucets available. You're just not seeing them in the stores you went to. Open the yellow pages and find a real plumbing supply store. Or, call 800-BUY-MOEN. They should be able to give you model numbers, and you can use those to find more info on their web site, which is a bit weird to navigate.

If you can't find the right thing, you can always just plug the pipe from the valve to the tub spigot.
Bob
You generally can buy a standard faucet and simply cap the outlet that would supply the tub spout. You say "the tub spigot that turns on the showerhead", but this is only because when you pull up on the 'diverter' you force the water up to the head. By plugging the tub spout you are effectively doing the same thing.

Joe, I went ahead in my shop and bought diverter faucet with the intent of putting a plug into the opening that would go down to the tub. However, as my wife pointed out, why not install a second spout in the shower, down low, so we can wash the dog and possibly just wash our feet only. Worked out fine. The second spout is about 18 inches off the shower pan and I put one of those flexible hose-type shower heads on it.
Ivan Vegvary