Shower Stall Grout vs. Caulk

I've got a very old tiled shower stall that has grout rather than caulking on the joints between the walls and the floor. The grout is breaking off and I need to re-seal.
Should I remove the old grout and use caulk instead-- or try to re-grout?

If it's a mud job shower stall you can go either way. Otherwise there should be caulk at all transitions between materials and all inside corners.

If you re-grout, it will just come out again--maybe tomorrow, maybe in five years. Chip out the old grout. Take a piece of the old grout to the store and get some sanded caulk that matches the color. It'll last a long time.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
J.H. Holliday wrote:

Wipe with denatured alcohol, let dry. Wipe with full strength bleach immediately before caulking (let it dry). Use silicone caulk. Corners are caulked rather than grouted because walls/floors expand and contract or move as house settles, which cracks grout.