Shower Stall - floor question

I'm planning on building a custom sized shower stall. I know this requires a bed of mortar to lay under my rubberized sheet. What do I use as a "bed of mortar"? will basic mortar work, or do I need anything special. Also, do I need to put reinforcing steel mesh or anything in it to hold up?
Any other tips you can share about custom tile shower stalls would be helpful. This will be my first one.

You want a very dry-pack cement-sand mix - above and below your liner.
Do a lot of googleing. There is a lot out there to learn. Also, find a good tile store for supplies and advise.
A starter: http://www.johnbridge.com/shower_curbs.htm http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t 2275 http://www.johnbridge.com/kerdi_shower.htm http://www.pisymphony.com/HANDYMAN/SHOWERPAN/showerfloor.htm
Bob