shower question

I live in milpitas california, I am stuck in my project of remodeling my shower, one contractor sugested to install a 4mil layer of plastic, then backer board and then the tile fot the walls, but the guy who did the plumbing told me that I have to take out the plastic becouse it codenses the air humidity and I could have a problem inside the wall, so I want to know:

1.- can I live the plastic? (then install backer board and then te tile) or take the plastic out and install green sheet rock and then backer board and then install tiles?

I hope somedoby can help me! thank you

Reply to
pancho

He s right. Code here calls for 6 mil. The "bare" wall should have insulation batts filling the area between the framing members. The plastic (vapor barrier) goes over that (on the inside), then the concrete board goes over that.

Try and tie your 'new" plastic to the existing vapor barrier that should already be in the wall. Use red "Tuck" tape to seal the edges to the existing vapor barrier or caulk to attach/seal it to the framing all around if no vapor barrier is in there now.

Reply to
Rudy