shower pan

A recent This Old House program featured a worker applying a liquid membrane directly on plywood in a shower. This was to be the base for tile.
What is this product? Does it work? Will it stand up over time? If it works, does seem easier than messing with a pvc membrane or pan.
franz frippl wrote:

Did it smell like fiberglass?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Hey Robert -
You can smell things on TV in Texas?? Is that called Smellivision? From cable or an antenna?
JK

i believe the shower pad used a rubber membrame, the poured stuff was self leveling concrete, to slope things for drainage.
or there was a copper shower pan, soldered seams. its by nature waterproof, and again a leveling compound was used for drainage
Big_Jake wrote:

Not every program. But there are some programs that definitely smell. American Idol, for instance. :-)
That response was my smart ass way of pointing out that many shower pans are made from fiberglass. If it was fiberglass, then the guys on TOH would probably have mentioned it. They generally talk about useless stuff like that and leave off the important stuff, like what it is.
There are a few other waterproofing products that may well be used to form a shower pan, but I don't know of any long term tests for them, when used in that application. I didn't see the show, so I can only guess.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Here is the one I see most often. This in not and endorsement. :-)
http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/ProductCatalog/SurfacePrep/WaterproofingAntiFractureMembranes/RedGard.aspx
I like membrane or copper myself, but this sure is cheap and easy.
JK
Big_Jake wrote:

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/ProductCatalog/SurfacePrep/WaterproofingAntiFractureMembranes/RedGard.aspx
Although the ads for this say it is approved for shower pans, I would have to see a long time installation to believe it. I use it for the primary waterproofing for concrete countertops, tile countertops, etc., but I have never seen it used for pans.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.