Shower noise behind wall

In my shower upstairs, a noise can be heard behind tha wall at the pipes which is very disturbing and loud. This only occurs when the shower head is used and when water pressure is increased. It also seems to get worse when I turn the valve to get the water hotter. Any experience with this and how can it be corrected?

Turn up the radio?
Tell the wife not to make so much noise when she's in the shower with the mailman?
What KIND of noise?
: )
Noozer wrote:

I'ts a vibrating noise alomost like a loud hum.
R8EDXXX wrote:

Any chance you've got a low flow shower head attached? I installed such an animal last year and it uses a method of intraining (sp?) air into the discharge at the swivel. It creates one heck of a lot of noise which comes from the vertical feed pipe. I think this noise is due to the air intraining valve pulsating very rapidly. In my case, it was a new shower install and I was able to put insulation in around the piping before closing up the wall. If I remove this particular water saver head and swivel, and install a standard head, the noise is gone.
Waldo
I have had this shower head for approximately 6 months and just it started doing this!
If you have hot and cold faucets then the washer in the hot faucet may be loose. Take the valve apart and replace the washer.
Dave M.
I have one faucet which I can adjust to be hot or cold with a dial type lever. To the left hot water and to the right cold. Thanks for the tip though. Any more suggestions?
R8EDXXX wrote:

Do you have copper pipes? Could be metal pipes expanding as hot water runs through them. If a clip that holds the pipe is on with just the right amount of tightness, the hot water exapnds (lengthens) the pipe, causing it to rub against the clip, and then you hear a little tap or click sound. It will do it a number of times until the pipe has reached equilibrium temp and then the noise stops. Then when you are done with the shower it may do it again as the pipe cools.
The solution is to loosen the clip so that the pipe can expand freely. Unfortunately, you need access to the pipe, so if it is buried behind a wall, either start tearing into to the wall, or else learn to live with the noise. The noise only hurts your eardrums, won't hurt the house at all.
Ken
Do you have any teenage sons?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I already did this and it still makes the noise. It's funny how it only does it when the dial is turned left to add hot water and when the shower head is used! Any more suggestions before I call a plumber?