Shower light - GFI?

fixture mounted inside shower (celing mounted) - besides being suitable for wet location, does it need to be on GFI circuit? Logic says yes, but I couldn't find it in the code...
thnaks
martin
My fixture said it was rated for use in a shower provided it was on a GFI circuit. Has worked fine for 13 years.

Somebody knows the answer, but my take is that you won't/can't touch it while showering unless you are a whole lot taller than me.
Charlie
Charlie Bress wrote:

I can't see why it would need to be on a GFI if the metal parts of the fixture are properly connected to the supply ground lead.
I'd expect a good chance of nuisance tripping a GFCI from condensed moisture if the fixture wasn't perfectly sealed.
When our home was built the electricians powered the Nutone bathroom ventfans/lights from the output side of the GFCI outlets installed in each bathroom.
Those GFCI outlets triped after almost every shower steamed up the bathroom. I moved the feeds for the fan's timed switches to the input side of those GFCIs and they've been working just fine for the last 20 years.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Pat wrote:

for *specific* fixtures, not a Code issue per se.
How a city inspector will handle this kind of thing is all over the map/.
Jim