Shower leaking into wall?

Page 3 of 3

Thanks. I copied the link that TinyPic said was for forums. Didn't think email would work. Will use your suggestion next time. 'Preciate it.
HB
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:25:57 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

They must mean html forums. Not good ones.

Much better Now if the shower foor did not latch properly, the water would run straight down, not go behind the tiles. So you must open the wall between the tub and shower to see what is going on. Have you tried just using the tub./ shower for a couple of weeks to see if the wall dries up. IF it does, then the separate shower is at fault. OR, just use the shower and not the tub/shower as\nd see what happens. IT will take a couple of weeks to show up as the wall looks so very damp that it will take a while to dry out. You could also put a fan blowing at the opened wall to speed up the process.

Thanks. Others have made your good suggestion about isolating the shower for a few weeks, so I've arranged with OP to use my shower. Also good thought about fan on opened wall.
Stay tuned!
HB

Yes, m'lord. In future yr. humble obt. servt. will say The Other Person or some other non-confusing identifier.
HB

Dunno if my reply went through. Thanked you for suggestion of isolating shower for a few weeks and for fan idea.
HB
Higgs Boson wrote:

*MUCH* better.
I don't think that would be caused by water from around the door. I'm guessing the shower head is on the opposite side of the wall from the tub spout, yes? BTW, there is what appears to be rust under the tub spout too.
It is really impossible to tell where the water is coming from but a likely spot is the inside corner of the tub spout/shower wall and the shower door wall. Most all corners like that will have cracked grout because of the movement of the wall studs at the corner. IF that is the case and you have to open up the wall, use caulk in that corner (all areas where two walls meet, actually) rather than grout.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Blame Obama, & you need to vote Republican.

That will get it fixed!!! You're on. Can I throw in new side door, back yard patioconstruction & landscaping, paint house indoors & out, refinish front door, repaint front porch, rip up concrete in front of garage and replace with permeable concrete squares; in fact rip out concrete driveway paths leading to garage apron and replace whole thing with landscaping, replace edge tiles on garage roof, replace both side gates and driveway gate... let's see...what am I missing...
Lawdy, if I'd known it was that easy, I would have sold my soul right around Nixon's zeit.
HB

.
As others have pointed out, the damaged section is pretty much shot, so you could just open it up and take a look inside. That assumes that with the construction there isn't some framing completely blocking the way. Not likely, but possible. If no water is appearing on the floor, I'd say odds are that it's not a leak, but it might be.
The other option is as suggested to dry it out with a fan and hold off using both the shower and the bath tub for a couple days. Or if you're going to be away for a few days, let it dry out then and when you return, use only the bath part for a week, carefully making sure no chance of water getting their past the curtain, running down the top of the tub, etc. If it's not wet, then do the same using the shower.

, use only the

No chance of that happening. Not in proximity.
If it's not wet, then do the same using the shower.
Using shower first.
UPDATE: Attached pic of grisly site.
http://tinypic.com/r/2dcamgg/7
I scraped away icky wet stuff down to the wood.
As recommended, we are not using that shower; monitoring if it dries on its own.
Note that wet ick does not seem to extend higher into the area covered by white surface coat (to permit wallpaper).
What might that say about WHERE exactly the moisture enters the wall?
TIA
HP

HB- (aka OP)
Having read all the entire thread & looked at all the photos you posted.....my best guess is that leak is from inside the shower stall.
My buddy's ex-wife's house has the exact same shower stall / bath tub arrangement and the exact same water damage (~2009). Her house in in SoCal & was built in the early 50's. The shower stall tile & tube are original.
He & I determined that the source of the leak was failed grout on the floor of shower stall, cracked grout at the wall / floor corners and most likely a cracked / deteriorated shower pan.
We took a look from the crawl space and saw that the subfloor had evidence of water leakage. We ran the shower to confirm an active leak.
She didn't want to bear the cost to redo the shower stall (it was a rental that she wanted to get new tenants into) Since damage was already done, we caulked the corners & re-grouted floor and re-checked the leak behavior. The leaking was reduced by 90% but the dry rot is slowly continuing the destruction even in the relatively dry SoCal environment.
I would suggest you get a look at the underside of the shower stall (from the crawl space) after the shower has been unused for a couple weeks and then run the shower and see the effect on the subfloor.
It that leak has been active for any length of time, I'd bet you're in for a shower stall rebuild. :(
cheers Bob

Thanks, Bob. I'm reassured that you're going to be by my side, pointing a very strong flashlight and holding a stun gun for the Black Widows. Plus a boombox emitting soothing meditation music for claustrophobia. So equipped, I am (almost) ready to tackle the new challenge, after shower has been on leave for a few weeks.

OMG!
HB

I had a similar situation in my last house. It was in the 1/2 bath in the second (was my son's) bedroom. I found the problem while ripping up the flooring to tile it. The entire subfloor had been doubled up, with the first layer almost gone and the second on its way. I thought it odd that the bathroom had rubber molding that had been sealed with silicone. Evidently the previous owners thought their kid was splashing water. Nope, the copper HW supply line in the wall behind the vanity had a pinhole leak that had (mostly) crusted over. There wasn't enough water to leak through to the kitchen ceiling below but there was enough to vaporize the subflooring under the vinyl floor.

OMG I hope it won't come to that. I, too, was wondering why I need to go into the (yeccch!) crawl space, when there doesn't seem to be any effect on the vinyl tile at the bottom of the narrow wall between stall shower and tub shower
Update: I have been monitoring the area since, on advice of NG, we stopped using the stall shower. It has dried out enough to suggest strongly that the leak is coming from the stall shower. Now I have to bring in the plumber to advise where the leak might be. I have notes of all suggestions from this NG. Frustratingly, nothing seems to be visibly wrong. My initial suspicion is that the leak is inside the wall. (Reminder: the pipe holding the shower head just comes right out of the wall; no way to get access, AFAIK, w/o removing individual tiles and opening up wall.)
Interesting side-note: When the bathroom was redone, over 30 years ago !!!! the great old lathe & plaster was replaced by greenboard. But the problem area still has lathe & plaster -- as revealed when I chopped away all the brownish wet gunk, back to the wood. Wonder why they left that?

Thanks, you're right. I had that creepy sensation in the back of my mind, but didn't take the time to look it up. 10 lashes w/a wet noodle.
HB