Shower leaking into wall?

Page 2 of 3
On 6/18/2011 9:31 PM, mm wrote:

Unless you are right under the tower, cell phones don't work too well underground...
--
aem sends...

Dang. Thanks for the warning. Now I know to write my will in advance. And I'll have to count on Lassie to get help when I'm stuck under one of the mine timbers that collapsed on me.

Correct. That is what's there now. My mistake originally saying lathe & plaster. That was before remodel w/greenboard.
+++++++++++++
Since it is now greenboard, it is easy to just open the wall up and see what is going on. You'll be able to see if any of the plumbing is leaking, or if the grout is leaking, or if water is coming through either of the two walls (the stall shower or the tub/shower) where the fixtures come through the wall. In my home, I once had to caulk with 100% silicone caulk around where the shower faucets went through the wall to stop water from running down the shower wall and going through the wall at that point. And, with the wall open, you won't need to go into the crawl space and bother the black widow spiders.
Maybe you can open the wall up and see if you can get any good pictures of where it is wet inside of that wall.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:25:51 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

No. Anyone can open it. Closing it is another story.

Watch it.

Gravity.

Doesn't get wet?

It will get worse.
As to possible mold, even if you get it, only sometimes is it as bad as the horror stories make out. I had mold and when the basement wall dried out, the mold stopped growing. (the black stuff stopped spreading) Then I painted it white again, and that was the end of it. If not that, there's bleach to kill it. (On my outside fence, natural wood, for a part that gets little sunlight, I used 100% bleach to kill whatever was growning there, not just the mixture recommended on the bottle, which wasn't enough.
As to floor damage, I had a leak 28 years ago when I used the bathtub. It would drip out of the dining room ceiling below, run down the chain and fill the globe around the ceiling chandlier bulb. Got 3 deep on more than one occasion. (Who looks up there? So it had been leaking for a few weeks before I noticed it.) There may have been some damage, but nothing I can see 28 years later.
OT Eventually it got to where it only leaked when someone used the shower in the bath. I think bath crud, mostly my old skin and soap, filled the hole where it was leaking. Several of my 100 neihbors in identical townhouses also had a leak in the same place, and eacy had someone open the ceiling and fix it. I'm glad I waited.

Just stop using the bad half? Until I was 10 and we moved, I wasn't allowed to take showers because, in a house we owned, the linoleum seam around the tub was open for 3 inches right above the tub, and plaster fell out when it got wet. One doesn't have to have everything working all the time, just because the tv commercials make it look like it should.
And stop being scared to death. It's no big deal to be without a second shower. How often are they both used at the same time anyhow?

It does look like it could be lath and plaster, but the green parts that show on the first picture make me wonder if it isn't greenboard underneath and then maybe a later patch job over the greenboard (from earlier leak damage).
Either way, the key is to carefully open up that part of the wall and see what is going on underneath. You could start by carefully taking off the piece of wood trim at the bottom by prying it off. Then start to carefully take off the bottom part of the wall and work your way up. You won't know how big of a problem you have until you can see where the water is coming from.

I can't see the pictures (tinypic is blocked at work).
Is it a tile shower or a fiberglass unit?
I've seen grout go bad and allow water to leak behind the wall in between the tiles. The grout *looks* OK on the surface, but the water can go right through it. DAMHIKT
And of course, any spot where the caulking has deteriorated will also allow water to leak through, often unseen by the user until everything behind the wall gets saturated and the water begins to find its way to a visible location.

Tile shower.

Shower is in good shape generally, but I'll get a ladder and check grout more closely.

See my just previous reply for more detail on the shower, the other shower backing up to it, and more background.
What may be significant here (as mentioned in my first post) is that there was minor "leakage " years ago, due -- I assumed -- to door latch not closing properly, which I repaired. Now this major leakage is appearing in the same spot. Why now?
HB

Here is a better view:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2j34is7.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">

wrote: Here is a better view:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2j34is7.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">
http://i55.tinypic.com/2j34is7.jpg">
http://i55.tinypic.com/2j34is7.jpg

HB
++++++++++++++
Well, gee, that is a MUCH better view! I had no idea where the shower and tub were from the first views.
The water damage on the wall may just be water that gets on the wall from people using the tub -- especially if the tub has a shower.
What is under the floor where the tub and shower are located (the floor below)? Is there any ceiling damage on the floor below under where the tub and shower are located?

Hmmm...will check that out. I kinda doubt it; I'm the one that uses the shower in the tub, and I always close the curtain; I would be aware of splashing outside. Thing is -- damage is in the same location as earlier, much less severe, damage which I attributed to user improperly closing shower door latch. Maybe I was wrong then, but there was a long period when no further damage occurred until just recent alarm.

There's nothing underneath but the crawl space. This is a one-story California -- do they still call them bungalows?
(I haven't been down to visit the black widows for years -- since I drilled holes in the hardwood and ran lines from the hi-fi on E. wall to the speakers on W. wall.)
HB

You haven't said how many people are in the household and who uses what???

Two persons in the household. One uses stall shower, the other uses tub shower.
HB
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:06:10 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Do you put the curtain outside or inside the tub?

Liner inside, curtain outside.
HB
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:58:51 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Yeah, I gather my shower curtain is considered a liner. I dind't know that for the first 10 years.

On 6/18/2011 9:31 PM, mm wrote:

Chuckle. Me as well. I hate the plastic liner/curtains, so I bought one of the hotel style fabric ones. I wash it 3-4 times a year, when it gets stiff, or the rust stains from my horrid water get too blatant. Never saw any point in a 'show' curtain to put in front of it- it would make the shower too dark, and make the inner curtain stay wet longer. I also raised the rod as high as I could to avoid banging my head, and to keep the curtain from dragging on the bottom of the tub. The things you can get away with without a SWMBO in the house....
--
aem sends...

What, you read in there? <g>
and make the inner curtain stay wet longer.
I make sure to pull the whole shebang aside when not in use, and let air and Western sun stream in.
I also > raised the rod as high as I could to avoid banging my head, and to keep

I bought a liner at Bed Bath & Beyond that was marked in HUGE letter "Will not mold". Yeah, sure. Pretty soon the black stuff began to accumulate, giving me the PITA of cleaning it off with bleach, etc. that never really worked. Finally took it back and exchanged for a better liner. Notice that BB&B doesn't carry the former liner any more!
HB
On 6/19/2011 12:58 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

it is a classic cleaning conundrum- do you close the shower curtain after use, or leave it wide open so the tub and walls dry faster? I've found that almost closing the curtain (with an air gap on both ends so it doesn't stick to walls) slows down how fast mold appears on the curtain. If curtain is all bunched up, it never gets dry. I have same issue with towels- damn bathroom is too small for full length towel bars anywhere, so they don't dry fast enough to retard the funky smell.
--
aem sends...

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:06:10 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

If they are bungalows. There is more to that than just one-story.

I saw recently that their sting is really not fatal. So don't worry.

Higgs Boson wrote:

Just a suggestion....,
When you upload a picture to http://tinypic.com, instead of copying and pasting the link that is created that says, "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards", copy and paste the link that it creates that says, "URL for E-Mail & IM".
That will produce a clean URL link that does not have "[IMG]" attached to the front and back of the link.
So, in your case, instead of the link you post looking like this:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2j34is7.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">
http://i55.tinypic.com/2j34is7.jpg">
http://i55.tinypic.com/2j34is7.jpg
,