Shower head leak - drip...drip...drip...

My shower head is leaking with a drop of water every twenty seconds or so. Removed the head and the shower arm is leaking the same way. So is the leak somewhere in the faucet handles? The shower head is in the middle about 6.5 feet high, and at about 4 feet high I have a hot and a cold faucet handle by Delta. What do I need to change? Replace the entire faucet unit? That would require opening up the tiled wall...

Thanks in advance,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

If its a single handle unit that starts cold then goes to hot as you rotate it then when you turn it off turn it back towards cold just a little bit. This solved my dripping problem as I can't get the unit apart because the plumber melted the o-ring to the body so I'm going to need a gear puller to separate the two, but for now just turning it a little solved it for me.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

You say handles so I'm assuming that you have a hot and cold plus a center to divert the water between the tub and the shower. This is an easy fix. You just need a new washer or two. Can you tell if the water dripping out is hot or cold? That will tell you which washer you need to replace. if you cant tell, or if its warm, you should replace both.

To replace washer(s). Shut off water to fixture, or whole house. Remove cap on end of handle. Remove screw under cap, rightey tightey, leftey loosey. Pull off handle, it should pull straight off after screw is removed. below handle, close to wall, is a large nut with the valve stem (the part that holds the handle) in the middle. Unscrew this nut. Once loose, remove the nut and stem together. You will have to put the handle back on, no screw, and turn the stem in the direction you turn the water on, to get the assembly out. At the end of the valve stem there is a washer. Take the stems, left and right, to the hardware store and match the washers. Replace the washers and reverser the above procedure to put it all back together again.

Have fun.

This is a one trip to the hardware store job and should only cost you .10 cents.

Reply to
No

You probably just need a rubber washer replaced. I would open the knobs and replace both washers. If you have a sink same age I would just replace them at the same time since you are about to get dirty anyway. They should cost $0.10 each or so.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Yes I have two handles one hot and cold. I will check to see if it's the cold or hot water and report back. It's a showe stall so no diverter at all for tub and shower. Just two handles and a shower.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Thanks I will check it out.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Reply to
nospambob

MC,

Delta has a web-site which may help you and parts for repair are readily available.

local library will have home repair books which may help. If you are overwhelmed, do not have tools, et c. call a plumber.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Replace both at the same time and save yourself a job later.

There are a variety of different valve styles so you may have to turn off the main water, remove the valve core and take it to the store for comparison (unless you know the brand and can figure it out from the diagrams on the web). Newer ceramic cartridges can be used for hot or cold so make sure to install properly or the knob will turn the wrong way

Look inside the hole where the valve was when removed and make sure no debris has gotten stuck inside (old solder, metal shavings and broken rubber washer bits)

Reply to
PipeDown

The leak is in the valves (where the handles are). And no, you do not usually have to change the whole thing, just the cartridge or the rubber inserts depending on the type of valve. You need to know whether it is a two hand or single handle and the brand (manufacturer). Even if you have to change the whole valve body, the tile may not need to be disturbed. Depends on the size of the plate that covers the valve(s).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon