Shower Head Flow Rate

Page 1 of 2
In my quest to find why we use so much water for domestic needs, I measured our shower head output this morning. It measured exactly 2-gallons in 1-minute. Seems high. What is the recommended flow rate for water conservation?
Dick
zero?
low flow is considered 2-2.5 gallons a minute.
take that 2 gallons, guess how long for each shower, multiply it by the number of showers in a month (estimate) and see how much of your water consumption is showering. my guess: this isnt the problem.
bigger worries: leaky faucets. lots of laundry. toilets that take 3 gallons a flush.
randy
"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message

ps, if you're really worried about it, get a showerehead with a valve on it and turn it off between rinses.
randy

xrongor wrote:

Even better get a "navy" showerhead. It has a ring on a chain you have to pull down on to keep the valve open. Just like those emergency wash down showers located in places where hazardous stuff is handled.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:29:07 -0700, "xrongor"

Taking shorter showers can make a huge difference!
BB
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:39:01 GMT, BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

Yes, it does. We are trying to unload the amount the leach field has to dispose of each day to reduce the number of times we get the septic pumped at $460 each. Had to do it 3 times since August. It isn't just domestic water use, but heavy rains that saturate the leach field. Can't do much about the weather, but can reduce the amount of water we put in it. If we have two showers each day at our 2-gallon/min flow rate, that's 60 gallons, or 40% of our daily water use. Eight flushes of two toilets at 3-1/2 gal/per is 56 gallons. That's nearly 80% of our total. The rest being drinking water, dish washer and clothes washer.
I have on order two Toto UltraMax toilets which will help on that side. If we can limit our showers to 5-minutes each, that should help there. We already have a front-load Maytag which is very conservative of water use. We can try to stretch out our dishwasher use. That's about all we can do without getting ridiculous. I am also looking into a gray water system, but the requirements here are very restrictive, and don't know if I want to deal with the red tape.
Not trying to save water. Trying to save our septic system.
Dick
Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

If your septic system has needed to be pumped three times since August, it's beyond saving -- that sucker is toast. Methinks a new leach field is in your near future.

Others in our situation in our housing area have "saved" their leach field by using a gray water system to give the leach area a "rest."
"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message

That looks like a good clue to me. Also if your neighborhood is anything like mine, dig after dark.

:-)
"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message

it's
in your

grey water is great if you intend on using it for watering and stuff, but there is an odor to it and make sure you never, never drink it, even by accident. i'd make sure you have a diff. color hose for it and even a sign above the spigot so others will know it's not well or city water.
mike..........
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:25:34 GMT, "JerseyMike"

The regulations here are pretty strict. Can only be used for irrigation. Must be contained on your property. Cannot pool. Must have bypass back to sewer if clogged. Cannot be used for dishwasher, kitchen sink or even washing machine if it is used for diapers. System needs to be inspected, etc. etc. The rules go on and on.
Dick

it's
your
my thoughts exactly, a new leaching field definitely and remember the saying "Conserve water, shower w/ a friend"
mike...............
"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message wrote:

and here's your problem. That's 15 minutes per shower (or am I misreading what you are saying). Take shorter showers. Two 5 minute showers = 20 gallons.

You are a good candidate for spending the money to convert to 1.6 gpf toilets.
--
Peace,
BobJ

> That's nearly 80% of our total. The rest being drinking water, dish
Dick wrote:

I do not know where you live but, having to have your septic pumped three times since August suggests that your leach field has completely failed. I live in North Eastern North Carolina in the Dismal Swamp and have never had to pump that often except when the leach field started to go bad.
ChrisGW

I'm not convinced yet that it is completely failed. We have had a number of homes with septic systems in both cold and warm climates. The problem started with heavy rains over several days which formed a lake in our backyard. The water had no place to go but down which sent it right down to the leach field. When the tank was pumped the first two times, the excess water from the drain field just poured back into the tank. Several hundred gallons of rainwater. With the field so saturated with water, the output from the tank really had no where to go. It may be though, and we are discussing the situation with the Country and contractors. Our options at this point are few (make that very expensive.)
Dick
2.5 gpm
"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message

Maximum Conservation Efficiency (MCE) is acheived at a flow rate of 0 gpm, but you're going to be walking around dirty or soapy. Here's another thought- it takes x amount of water to wash off y amount of soap. Hypothetical example: if the flow is 2gpm, let's say it takes 2 minutes to wash off the soap. If the flow rate decreases to 1gpm, it now takes 4 minutes to wash off the same amount of soap. Of course, there are psychological and comfort factors, but they can't be measured very well.
As you can tell, I belong to the "low flow does not conserve water, only wastes time" camp.

Here here,,,, first thing I do is remove the restrictor in the shower head. Faucets I leave alone. When I was traveling a lot I even carried a special pair of water pump pliers for the hotel room showers, if needed. Before I check out I would put the restrictor back.
I've been in hotels with those water miser shower heads. I've been tempted to buy my own shower head for just about that reason.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus