Shower faucet damaged in pipe freeze

I have a condo, in New Hampshire, that is vacant during the winter. I keep the heat at 55 degrees which is usually high enough to prevent freezing pr oblems. This winter, the heating system failed and I was left with some mi nor issues,

One of the problems is with a shower faucet. When the water is turned on n othing will come out. If you put your ear to the wall, you can hear water escaping in the wall. If the shower is turned off the water in the wall s tops. The faucet is of the newer variety with a cartridge.

I'm trying to determine where to begin with this. Any thoughts as to what the problem might be and whether it's something that someone with basic plu mbing skills should attack. Many thanks in advance for any info. BJ

Reply to
hscrc

Can't see it from here, but I suspect you'd have to rip out some drywall and get at it from the back.

One time I helped a friend with a house that had no electric. He had turned off the toilet fill valve. So when we drained the pipes, the fill pipe stayed full of water. Froze, and cracked. The jug of pink RV antifreeze stuff worked nicely in the sink and toilet traps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon