Shower Drain Strainer Won't Fit, Part II -- How to Remove a Small Length of a Drain Pipe?

A few days ago I asked a question about a (possibly?) incorrectly installed shower drain. The problem is that the shower drain strainer won't fit on top of the shower drain the way it was designed to -- the top of the drain seal (as well as that of the drain pipe) are too high, interfering with some bent "tabs" on the strainer.
The diagram below shows the problem installation:
------------ <--- shower drain strainer | | <--- small tabs bent to point downward ___ ___ '--... ...--' ||| ||| <--- Middle ring: Drain Seal |'| |'| <--- Outer ring: PVC shower drain | | | | <--- Inner ring: PVC drain pipe | |
From what I gathered, a correct installation should look like this:
------------ <--- shower drain strainer | | <--- small tabs bent to point downward ___ ___ '--. .--' ||| ||| <--- Middle ring: Drain Seal ||| ||| <--- Outer ring: PVC shower drain | | | | <--- Inner ring: PVC drain pipe | |
That is, the top of the drain piper should be about half an inch lower, and the drain seal should be pushed further down.
My questions: Should I bother to trim the excess length of the installed PVC drain pipe? And if so, how can/should it be done?
mtco wrote:

I would not bother to trim it. But if you're interested, there is a special tool made just for the purpose. You'd have to ask at a plumbing supply house.
I suppose one could grind a bevel with a Dremel or the like. Jim
Speedy Jim wrote:

Thanks. Do you know what the tool is call?
Speedy Jim wrote:

Just found something called an internal PVC pipe cutter. I suppose that's the tool you had in mind.