shower drain question.

Hello everyone, I am going to finish a shower that someone started in our basement that they never finished properly. The problem I'm having is that the floor is just concrete and I am going to tile it. The floor has a cast iron metal drain but I need to raise the floor by 2" to smooth it enough for the tile and to correct a drainage problem. Is there some sort of slip in drain extender I can use to bring the floor drain up to the new surface level when I pour the new floor. Thanks
Chris Mares wrote:

If you're tiling you'll need a drain fitting with weep holes for the membrane under the tile. NOTE: I'm *not* a tile expert, I'm just trying to anticipate the problems you will face.
Normal drain size is 2" trade size. If the existing CI pipe is 2" (trade size, not OD), use a 2" Fernco coupling (rubber boot with SS band) which slips over the outside of both. You need enough room to be able to tighten the fasteners. Get the necessary fitting and see how things look; saw off the CI if needed to get the correct height.
Frankly, for a basement shower I think you're better off putting down a pre-cast fiberglass shower base and avoiding all the hassles of building up a tiled pan.
Jim
Thanks but I don't understand why I need to bother with a weep hole. I am not going to use a membrane and the shower has been in operation for years now with no problems. I just want to tile the floor and raise the drain to meet the new floor.
Speedy Jim wrote:

Chris Mares wrote:

Oatey has a drain fitting which is installed and sealed from above: http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/showskus.asp?ctg &subctg=4&prodgrpid8
This works with 2" trade size pipe. Not sure this will be the best answer in your case.
A Fernco coupling from below may still be the best bet. Browse the fittings aisle at HD etc. for a drain that will fit in your situation. A plain floor drain (no weep) may do it. Jim

Thanks Jim I will
Speedy Jim wrote:

Chris:
CM> I am going to finish a shower that someone started in our basement that CM> they never finished properly. The problem I'm having is that the floor CM> is just concrete and I am going to tile it. The floor has a cast iron CM> metal drain but I need to raise the floor by 2" to smooth it enough for CM> the tile and to correct a drainage problem. Is there some sort of slip CM> in drain extender I can use to bring the floor drain up to the new CM> surface level when I pour the new floor. This isn't a sewer clean-out, is it? We have one sticking out about an inch or so and at one time contemplated a half-bath in the basement -- only thing is the toilet would have been about 2' from the wall. We had a sewer blockage and found out from the sewer guy this was a clean out, not a drain.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* "Nice mirror!" said Tom reflectively.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971