Shower Drain Plate Fastening ?

Hi,

Have an older fiber-glass (I think) shower stall.

Want to replace the flat cover plate with the slots that covers the drain hole. Thought it was the typical thing with two screw holes, and about 3" in Dia.

But, surprised to see that's it is around 4" in diameter, and NO screws or screw holes in the plate.

Don't want to break anything by forcing it up.

How are these things (likely) fastened, therefore ?

- epoxied in ?

- some kind of simple expansion clamp that will allow the plate to come up if forced, just a little ?

Or,... ?

Really don't want to break anything down there.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

On one of mine it is a part of the drain pipe. Its a one piece flange that has a piece that threads on underneath to secure it to the shower pan.

Yours may be different but I would not start forcing things .

Reply to
marks542004

Mine has a plate which snaps in, and needs no screws to keep it in place. Once a year I pop it up with a screw driver and check for clogs, calcium build-up, etc., and then just snap it back down. HOWEVER, I make no assumptions that yours is the same way, although if there are no obvious screws, what would be holding it in? Cementing it in permanently seems odd, since these drains can clog, but, as always, YMMV.

hilary

Reply to
rain.howard

One way is the drain is screwed on the flange. Being careful. I used the handles of a set of pliers held vertical and try to turn counter clock wise. YMMV.

-- Oren

Oren