Shower Drain Plate Fastening ?

Hi,
Have an older fiber-glass (I think) shower stall.
Want to replace the flat cover plate with the slots that covers the drain hole. Thought it was the typical thing with two screw holes, and about 3" in Dia.
But, surprised to see that's it is around 4" in diameter, and NO screws or screw holes in the plate.
Don't want to break anything by forcing it up.
How are these things (likely) fastened, therefore ?
- epoxied in ?
- some kind of simple expansion clamp that will allow the plate to come up if forced, just a little ?
Or,... ?
Really don't want to break anything down there.
Thanks, Bob
Robert11 wrote:

On one of mine it is a part of the drain pipe. Its a one piece flange that has a piece that threads on underneath to secure it to the shower pan.
Yours may be different but I would not start forcing things .
Robert11 wrote:

Mine has a plate which snaps in, and needs no screws to keep it in place. Once a year I pop it up with a screw driver and check for clogs, calcium build-up, etc., and then just snap it back down. HOWEVER, I make no assumptions that yours is the same way, although if there are no obvious screws, what would be holding it in? Cementing it in permanently seems odd, since these drains can clog, but, as always, YMMV.
Robert,
Generally speaking, if it is a 4 inch round cover with small square holes in a circular pattern covering your shower drain, it is most likely just a pop in cover plate. If your shower is of farely new construction (i.e built in the last 15 years) it most likely is this type of cover. Gently pry up in the edge of it with a small screw driver or knife and you should find that it moves quite easily. If you want to check to see if it is this type of cover you can insert a screw driver into the holes and attempt to turn it. If it spins freely then it should pop right out. If it spins with a little more difficulty then it may be threaded into your drain but this method works well for removal unless you want to go to the store and buy a tool you will only use once. Good luck, have fun and watch out for those drain monsters. Robert11 wrote:

One way is the drain is screwed on the flange. Being careful. I used the handles of a set of pliers held vertical and try to turn counter clock wise. YMMV.
-- Oren