shower door radius causing gap : Follow Up

Thought I'd follow up with an update to my situation (as it were). I contacted the Sterling/Kohler company today. Thier customer help person
informed me that the door I bought (model # 1500D-36S) .....can not... that's right, can not be used where there is a radius at the point where the side rails and bottom rail meet. Funny. The installation instructions say in bold letters, "if you have a radius in your shower enclosure at the point where the side and bottom rails meet, be sure to
measure the distance between walls above the radius"....The instructions even provide a little picture to show you where you should
put your tape measure. Clearly this suggests that the shower door can be used in a shower stall that has a radius. No where is there any mention made of cutting or filing down the edges to accomodate for the radius. Funny. The customer rep said that they used to have these instructions in the booklet. Funny. After she spoke with her supervisor, she said that those instructions were removed because the door is not suitable for enclosures with a radius. Funny. Nothing anywhere says anything about that. So what did they say?
Return the door to Home Depot. She said that she "hoped" they would take it back. I told her someone would be taking it back one way or another. At that point my tires were spinning with her and I vented a little more and said good bye. Sucks that a company would seemingly continue to sell a product that they know is not suitable for some applications. Maybe they figure the homeowner would just caulk it to death and hope for the best. Who knows? Well its back to the drawing board. I am not done with Kohler though....... WARNING! Kohler/Sterling does not engage in open and honest merchandizing. Thanks jmk
jk wrote: WARNING! Kohler/Sterling does not engage in open and honest merchandizing.
jk,
While I can empathize with you in regards to having had a problem with this particular Sterling/Kohler product, I'm not sure they deserve such an overarching criticism.
I have a number of Kohler/Sterling products in my house and when I had a problem or a question, the reps at the 800 number have been more than helpful. When I had a problem with a cracked shower unit and the supplier I bought it from was out of stock, they authorized a return with a complete refund and helped me locate another dealer nearby so I could finish my bathroom on schedule.
When I *thought* the Kohler/Sterling kitchen faucet I bought was faulty, they sent me a replacement head immediately, even though the rep didn't really think there was anything wrong with the head. It turned that out she was right, but she knew that replacing the head was the easiest of all possible fixes, so she said, "Let's try the head anyway, if that's not the problem, you'll have a spare!"
So, while your experience with Kohler/Sterling has not been the best, they have always engaged in "open and honest merchandizing" as far my dealings with them.
Requisite Disclaimer: I don't work for Kohler/Sterling, I don't knowingly know of anyone that works Kohler/Sterling, I have no relationship with Kohler/Sterling other than that of a satisfied customer.
jk wrote:

While I am glad that your experience with Kohler was a good one, my sentiment does not change based on the facts I laid out in my previous posting.
A company should not offer a product that is not suitable for an application without warning the purchaser.
Kohler acknowledged that the subject shower door is not suitable for applications wherein there is a radius in the geometry of the shower enclosure. Yet Kohler continues to offer the door for sale without any warning or exclusion whatsoever.
Kohler offered no remedy to me. Kohler offered no assistance to me. Kohler made no excuses or attempts to cover anything up. Kohler simply chose to ignore the issue and let me "figure things out".
Call this behavior what you will. I call it misrepresentation of product and willfull neglect on the Kohler companies part to correct a problem.
jk wrote:

Companies often have a "consumer" help line and a "professional" line - for example Delta Faucet's Consumer line is staffed by cute little Jennifers and Brittanys as a speed bump to avoid wasting the time of the "guys who know stuff" on the Plumbers line.
Perhaps Sterling/Kohler also has a higher level of assistance.
Your problem sounds like something I'd just take a belt sander or grinder to in order to make it fit rather than wasting time trying to take it back.
If you look at the door, you can tell that the size of the radius will have a large impact on the performance. A small 1/4 radius no problem, an 3 inch radius, yes a problem. The corners of any door may need to be filed to fit the curvature of the bath/shower unless you want water all over your floor (presumably you don't that is why you are installing a door)If the curve does not enter where the door fits, you have no problems. When people have problems like this that they can not figure out it might be time to find a professional.