Shower Caluk

Under normal wear and tear conditions, how often should the caulk in the base of a shower stall need to be re-done.

I define normal wear and tear as two adults.

Reply to
Robert Fenster

It depends, a new house- good caulk- and no settling - 15 yrs ? Old house that had mold and lime and soap that wasnt properly cleaned 1 yr.

Reply to
m Ransley

The shower stall was built in Jan 03, and the house was built in 1986. Therefore, I expect good caulk and no settling.

The contractor is telling me that I should need to replace it every 6-mos to

2 years. I do not believe that.

Reply to
Robert Fenster

15 years sounds optimistic. I've redone mine three times and we've been in the house three years. And it's starting to look like shit again.
Reply to
D'Olier

I guess im lucky because mine are apx 20 yrs old

Reply to
m Ransley

I find that caulk doesn't adhere that well to acrylic shower stalls. After about a year, it starts to let some water through in some places, specially the areas that are thouroughly soaked during a shower. I replace mine every

1 to 2 years. It's quite easy, since it peels right off so easily, this is the only upside to bad adherence :-)
Reply to
jstp