Shower arm tightening tool?

Is there such a thing as a shower arm tightening tool?
I just went through a real pain of a process doing the "simple" job of replacing a shower arm (long story). Even though the instructions say to hand tighten the shower arm, the only way I could get it not to leak was to be able to tighten it more than that. I tried teflon tape, pipe dope, etc. and no matter what I did, it kept leaking. I ended up replacing the female fitting thinking the threads must have been defective. When that didn't work, I had to buy a second shower arm because the threads on the first one seemed to be defective.
But, the real torture was trying to get the arm to turn one full turn past the had tightened point -- there is nothing to grab on, and the arm is chrome so using a pipe wrench or pliers wouldn't work. Is there some kind of tool that plumbers use for this since the do this every day?

I usually put a piece of rubber around the pipe and the use a pair of tongue and groove (AKA Channellock) pliers. A piece of old bathtub slip mat or something similar will work. Apply just enough pressure on the pliers to get the pipe to turn.

I assume that will work. I wonder if that is what plumbers do, or if they have a specific tool that they use instead. I was working on the shower in an empty house and didn't have any rubber around that I could try that idea with. I did have duct tape and I tried using that, but it was a big mess.
BETA-32 wrote:

If you want to make life easier twisting many different things, get yourself a pair of strap wrenches like these:
http://tinyurl.com/35cuhu
If you've got a mate he/she will bless you the next time they encounter a too tight or dried syrup stuck threaded container lid.
I used one of mine last weekend to get the top off a Skippy peanut butter jar I'd stored some left over latex paint it. It took two of us to do it, one to hold the jar, the other to work the wrench.
Without that strap wrench, I doubt I could have gotten that paint stuck jar lid off without breaking or burning something. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Good idea. Thanks.
Is W1BSV a ham radio call sign? (Do they still call it ham radio -- aka amateur radio operator's license?).
BETA-32 wrote:

Yep, I got my ham radio license in 1951.... (W6KAH)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 00:25:32 -0400, BETA-32 wrote:

I stuck a 3/8" socket wrench extension in the end and turned mine.

A length of 1/4" or 3/8" rod stuck in the end might give you more leverage. Bend it first to clear obsticles.
Bob