shower arm replacement

I have to replace a shower arm, as the threads on the shower head end are damaged and leaking (someone put a shower head on it with about 500 ft/lbs of torque and it finally cracked now that I own the house). It's a ceramic tile bath and there is only 1/4 to 1/2 clearance around the arm where it goes through the tile. I am just wondering if there are any tips I should know before attempting to replace this. Should the new one be teflon taped? How tight does it need to be? Is there any good way to tell if it's tight enough so that it isn't leaking in the wall? Thanks in advance. John
John wrote:

Yes, Teflon tape the new. It only needs to be a bit beyond hand tight. Put a screwdriver shank in the opening at the shower head end and use that as a wrench; it won't leave marks.
There is very little water pressure on the joint in the wall, so leakage is rarely an issue.
Jim
Speedy Jim wrote:

I'm not sure I'd go along with that "very little" Jim. Modern showerheads tend to have flow restricting orifices built into them to help conserve water resources. They will build up a fair amount of backpressure in the plumbing feeding them.
Jeff (Who still travels with a drilled out showerhead and a pair of light weight self adjusting pliers in his garment bag.)
Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I did that the last time I travelled to Portland,OR;swapped showerheads to get a decent shower over a 2 week stay.
It's the only way to go!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik wrote:

Mine does get looked at funny by airport security sometimes, I guess the showerhead x-rays too close to looking like a grenade....
They haven't tried to take it or the pliers away from me yet....
Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
John wrote:

Yes, teflon tape the new arm.
If I had to tell whether it was leaking behind the wall at the threaded joint between the shower arm and the ebow it screws into....
I'd probably do this....
Wrap a strip of soft paper around the arm several times and slide it back through that 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance in the tile so that it is smooshed against the face of the elbow. Hold it in place there with a rubber band or tape.
Put the shower head on and run water through it for a couple of minutes.
Slide the paper back out. If it's dry you are good to go. (At least as far as that threaded joint goes...)
HTH,
Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
i use teflon and pipe dope both. Rectorseal.

The pipe dope might eventually get into the shower head. Seems like a bad idea to me. I use teflon tape. I had the same shower leak in my previous house. Ended up seeping into the hardwood floor in the next room. Ruined a bunch of the floor, right after I had just finished 3 coats of paint on the walls and ceiling. I was ticked.

As my Daddy and Granddaddy taught me, "As tight as you can, and one turn more." Dale PS: if pipe dope is put on properly it will not get into the pipe to cause a problem.

Pipe dope goes on the outside of the pipe, and not gobbed on so much that it gets on the inside. A thin, but even, layer is what is needed.
art dont try to give plumbing advice, you are not a plumber.

<< Should the new one be teflon taped? >>
Only amateurs use teflon tape. The pros use pipe dope (often Teflon type) because they don't want to come back to deal with leaks. Cuts into the profits, ya know.
HTH
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comtosspam (Joe Bobst) wrote:

The pros used both, for that reason, when I asked.
Ptfe (teflon) will do fine. How tight? Well what can i say. Tight enough should do it!