Shovel Handle Coating: Anybody Tried Epoxy?

Just made a new handle for one of those snow-pusher thingies.

Probably should have used oak or ash, but I had some poplar on hand so that's what I used..... but the wood is looking kind of raw - as in maybe splinters sometime in the future.

SOP seems to be boiled linseed oil, tung oil, or (linseed oil plus a solvent).

But I don't have any of those on hand... but I do have some West System epoxy.

Anybody tried epoxy on a tool handle?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

"snow-pusher thingies"

sheesh

Just blog a lotta bicxplacomine on that sucker

Reply to
philo

Per philo:

Mea Culpa.... But I didn't think the term-of-art was "Snow Pusher"... hence the suffix... but it turns out that's it.

Like this, only about a hundred years old:

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

That explains it.

Since you've already made a new handle, you could use polyurethane coating...but I'd probably just wrap the potential "splinter" area with duct tape.

Reply to
philo

A friend praises Gorilla Tape and I got some and it's very good. It even stuck a couple pieces of poyethylene together for a week or so. I'm going to apply it over more surface and I think it will last longer this time. But it will stick to wood fine of course.

Reply to
micky

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:19:00 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote in

Out here in rural areas we use old engine oil out of a car or tractor to coat wood that we want to preserve against the weather.

Reply to
CRNG

Per philo:

No - I mean *really* about a hundred years old. OK... maybe only

50-60.... but the link was just for the gross form/functionality.

This one is solid steel at the business end, old handle looked kind of like the stock on that 170-year-old lever-action rifle that somebody found recently in one of the Western national parks.

BTW, if you're over about 5'8" tall; a longer handle improves the ergonomics a *lot*. I'm about 6'5" and the new handle is 6' long - about 2' longer than the original.

That changes the pushing angle significantly and gives a 2' longer stroke to every push. I'd estimate the effort to clear my driveway this morning at less than half what it took a few days before with the same amount of snow.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Nice you are using the old "snow pusher".

I have plenty of ancient tools here...including a few of my grandfather's hammers that have to be 75 years old.

Also my dad's 50 year old Black and Decker drill is still going strong.

Before he bought it I was using a hand cranked drill...not only for wood, but sheet metal.

Reply to
philo

My Dad and I have both used gorilla tape for shoe repair. One of few things which does any good.

The shovel handle might also use gorilla tape.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I didn't know they had webpages 100 years ago.

But I googled and some rancher found one in a dry cave in New Mexico that appears to be 150 years old. It's unusual because it has a date, when most current webpages don't.

The one you post above is intriguiging. It says it has a "self-sharpening blunt square surface". I guess it only sharpens until it's blunt.

Reply to
micky