Should you oil or grease a garage door opener chain?

Or does that promote dust collection and gunging up?

THX!

Dean

Reply to
dean

So thanks! What to do, grease or oil?

Reply to
dean

An old rule: If it turns, use oil. If it slides, use grease. Chain links turn.

Reply to
Bob S.

Excellent phrase! Thanks:)

Reply to
dean

Reply to
ToddWiedeman

It needs some lube and yes it will cause some dust to cling but that is better than no lube and it isn't that much. When you oil it, wipe it down with a rag first.

Reply to
User Example

And last. You want the oil in the moving parts but try to get the excess off the outer parts to minimize the dust.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Bicycle chain lubricant with teflon will resist attracting dirt.

Reply to
FDR

Never heard that before. Interesting. Ill try not to overanalyze it :)

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Reply to
nospambob

I oil! I greased a screw drive once and when the temperature got real cold, even in the garage, the opener would not function properly. Not knowing what to do, I had called in a repairman. He said never to use grease. I even oil the torsion springs. The even make a special spray oil for the rollers, chains, etc. The repainman gave me a can.

Regards, Ross

dean wrote:

Reply to
Ross Richardson

Hi, I used to spray Liquid Wrench sparingly. It contains Teflon. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Garage Door Parts, LLC