Should you oil or grease a garage door opener chain?

Or does that promote dust collection and gunging up?
THX!
Dean
You might try motorcycle chain lube, it seems to work for me without gumming things up

dean wrote:

It needs some lube and yes it will cause some dust to cling but that is better than no lube and it isn't that much. When you oil it, wipe it down with a rag first.

And last. You want the oil in the moving parts but try to get the excess off the outer parts to minimize the dust.
So thanks! What to do, grease or oil?
dean wrote:

An old rule: If it turns, use oil. If it slides, use grease. Chain links turn.
Excellent phrase! Thanks:)
Bob S. wrote:

Never heard that before. Interesting. Ill try not to overanalyze it :)
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
I lube the hinges in the sectional door annually when the opener drive screw gets greased. Neighbor had the old door fall on the car as un oiled pivot point wore through and door dropped.

Bicycle chain lubricant with teflon will resist attracting dirt.
I oil! I greased a screw drive once and when the temperature got real cold, even in the garage, the opener would not function properly. Not knowing what to do, I had called in a repairman. He said never to use grease. I even oil the torsion springs. The even make a special spray oil for the rollers, chains, etc. The repainman gave me a can.
Regards, Ross
dean wrote:

dean wrote:

Hi, I used to spray Liquid Wrench sparingly. It contains Teflon. Tony
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/hi-tek.html