Should the U.S. pull out of Chicago ?

Page 7 of 8

You have *got* to be kidding. You don't seriously believe that, do you? You do realize, don't you, that the *elimination* (not "reduction") of lead in gasoline took place *nationwide*, not just in NYC?
So how come crime went way down in NYC, but it's still sky-high in Chicago and DC?
On 12/28/2012 4:54 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Where did I say that I believed it? I found the article interesting, thorough. Period.

Gasoline isn't/wasn't the only source for lead contamination. The article mentions that the inner city, with the heaviest vehicular traffic, has lead levels in soil, etc., remaining long after the ban.

You wrote "... it [the reduction in crime] might have been due more to the reduction of lead in gasoline."
Do you tell me now that you don't believe what you wrote earlier today?

So how come crime went way down in NYC, but it's still sky-high in Chicago and DC?
On 12/28/2012 9:24 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

That was one concept presented in the article I wrote about, not a theory of my own. I do know that lead poisoning was epidemic in big cities, and likely elsewhere with similar conditions. Why was lead in gasoline and paint banned, I wonder?

cities, and likely elsewhere with similar conditions.<<<<
cite?
On 12/29/2012 1:57 AM, DD_BobK wrote:

This is interesting; http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/data/StateConfirmedByYear1997-2010.htm
One of the problems with lead exposure mentioned in the article was that of old windows....quoted a number of homes existing old enough to have lead paint. Opening and closing windows produces dust containing lead, it lands on interior surfaces, little kids play and put stuff in their mouths. The author went on to quote numbers comparing the cost of correcting conditions of lead exposure to the cost of incarceration. Not my policy, just interesting concepts. BTW, the article I refer to is in Mother Jones, not Atlantic :o)
The like above refers to blood lead levels which would be considered extremely high (much higher than levels at which brain damage occurs)....I'm not going to argue the point; look it up if you are interested.

So how come crime went way down in NYC, but is still sky-high in Chicago and DC?
Why won't you answer that question?

All-
Unfortunately, Norminn is terrible at providing a cite even to bolster his point...
he provides
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/data/StateConfirmedByYear1997-2010.htm
a totally out of context data table without any supporting explanation
here is a similar article, if not THE article he alludes to....
the two sources, taken together, might shed some light on the situation.
Or, perhaps parents who allow allow paint chips to exist in their kids environment and then leave their offspring sufficiently unsupervised to eat said paint chips are just good at allowing theirs to become criminals?
quien sabe

Norma is a she, believe it or not.

Personal experience.

If you don't agree with the concept, why did you bother mentioning it?

It was banned nationwide. How come crime went way down in NYC, but is still sky-high in Chicago and DC?
Why won't you answer that question?

My guess is that NY'er are tougher than those in Chicago (lord knows DC is populated with wimps) and evolved the ability to process the lead (grin).

Did you see the other reply? N now says he only read part of the article. Go figure.

It's a good one that I pointed out too....
On Dec 29 2012, 1:12pm, Doug Miller

If you're that interested it's not hard to find out. But you do need an education.
Levels of air pollution also depend on weather conditions. So lets see, Prevailing wind, Westerly, Oh that means a lot of the airborne pollution would be blown out to sea in NY.
Chicago is in an area where there is the lake breeze effect that concentrates pollutants. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Chicago#Lake_Breeze
More about pollution in Chicago. http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/638.html
http://www.examiner.com/article/chicago-air-pollution-action-day-today-and-tomorrow
So air pollution is still a major problem in Chicago.
And before the retards here ask, ozone comes from automobile exhausts as did lead in the past.

HEY, HEY, HEY! I wuz borned and raised in chi-town...sum 70 yares ago.
and i never failed to fine woik ass the yares went bye....
my edukasion has always gootten me bye.
chicago has bin beddy beddy gud to me!
ass far as dat money <bizzilions> in dat?
i had nuttin to due wit dat! ax my coizin veto...i reelly sweer!

Yes, that is all well accepted now.

The OP mentioned LAST six months, which may be correct. However, I find it interesting that he did not use the year long number. Actually the year end seems to indicate that the rate has been increasing over the last six months since it would put them on a pace for nearly 600 murders.
hairy wrote:

It's good to see it's about 150 below 2003.

hairy wrote:

Note all this carnage (will exceed 500 gun homicides for the year) has taken place in a "gun free" zone.
Chicago is also a "Nuclear Free" zone, so at least that part's working.

They also don't allow unicorns (not diverse enough).