Should the U.S. pull out of Chicago ?

Page 6 of 8  
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 00:28:35 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

I think I've figured out why I see "Doug". It's in your email address "doug at milm...". Since the moron won't change his posting nym, maybe you should change your email address. ;-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It proves to me that you apparently have poor critical reading skills. That's because the very simple comparison of what is going on in NYC vs Chicago suggests the association of leaded vs unleaded gas suggested by the article makes no sense. It's an obvious contradiction that at least 3 of us here thought of right from the start. I'd have that contradiction in mind just thinking about the topic. And I'd evaluate whether the article addresses it.

You say you read the piece, so I would think you'd know the answers. But for me the fact that Chicago today has a dreadful crim rate, while NYC has a low crime rate, with both using unleaded gas, suggests the above isn't the core issue.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
# # You say you read the piece, so I would think you'd know the # answers. But for me the fact that Chicago today has a # dreadful crim rate, while NYC has a low crime rate, with both using # unleaded gas, suggests the above isn't the core issue.
Considering that - the effect of unleaded gas is a cumulative effect - other factors can play into such long term effect And finally, since it was a simple correlation, and NO a causative claim..
It appears that once more you just seem to be intent on jerking off to the beat of your down drummer.
\
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Yes, it was a causative claim:
"Interesting article in (Atlantic?) about the relation of high lead levels in environ. and the crime levels that follow in about 20 years. Not proof, and no proof is claimed, and the author has studied quite a few regions, including NYC, where the statistics for both problems are accurate. Mayor G. got a lot of credit for reducing crime, but it might have been due more to the reduction of lead in gasoline. "
At least 3 others here thought the same thing. A claim that makes no sense, because Chicago has a high crime rate and NYC a low one. You are aware that both cities switched from leaded to unleaded gas at about the same time, are you not?
BTW, have you figured out how that Aprilaire humidifier works? I know any of the 4 of us could install a simple humidifier and get it working. Maybe that's why you're so pissed off and get into so many nasty arguments? You're just mad as hell because you can't install or get working a humidifier from the #1 manufacturer. And you're too arrogant and hot headed to let anyone help you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It just proves that people who should be trying to convince us they are mature enough to be trusted carrying guns in public engage in silly, juvenile name-calling behavior that undermines their position. Ironic, isn't it?
To be fair, shame on you Norminn, for name calling. In addition, we've not seen his actual brain so we don't know if it's pin head-sized, pea-sized, walnut-sized, etc. (-:

A majority of criminologists and sociologists attribute the drop in crime rates to a number of causes. Many believe that improvements in both surveillance and forensic technology are the factors most responsible for the decrease in recent years. Video and DNA evidence is hard to refute and repeat offenders who used to walk are now serving jail time. Personally I find those factors far more compelling in explaining the decrease than lead poisoning but I wouldn't discount the lead theory entirely. I just wouldn't expect much intelligent discussion of it to happen here. )-:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2012/0109/US-crime-rate-at-lowest-point-in-decades.-Why-America-is-safer-now
Of course, those who believe that www.americanrifleman.com or similar sites are reputable and "neutral" sources of crime statistics have already drawn the low card in the "forehead" poker game of personal credibility. There aren't any unbiased studies I know of that can prove the drop of crime has been caused by an increase in gun ownership. Of course, there's John Lott's "work" but he impugned his own ethics by using a sockpuppet to give positive reviews for his book:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lott_(econometricist)#Mary_Rosh_persona
There are some other serious problems with Lott's alleged "research" as well:
<<Lott claimed to have undertaken a national survey of 2,424 respondents in 1997, the results of which were the source for claims he had made beginning in 1997. However, in 2000 Lott was unable to produce the data, or any records showing that the survey had been undertaken.>>
Whoops! Faking data and creating fake personalities to review his work pretty much discredits that "research" completely although it doesn't seem to keep gun advocates from repeatedly quoting his results as if they were not just credible, but the gospel straight from God.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

About 10 years ago, I saw of about 30 years of statistics from the FBI and others. The ONLY thing they found that was consistently correlated to the rise and fall of violent crime was the number of 15-25 males in the population. The kids do the crimes and either burn out or get caught.
--
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late
to work within the system, but too early to shoot
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/1/2013 6:10 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Well, how about that!! The 15-25 y/o growing up with lead poisoning and brain damage probably aren't working on MBA's :o)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

That still doesn't explain the difference between Chicago and NYC. Want to try again? No, I didn't think so. You're stuck on the lie.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/1/2013 11:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Always accuse people of lying when you don't understand what is written? I will repeat....I found the article interesting in the comparison of lead pollution levels and following changes in crime rates. The article discusses other factors affecting crime, of course, and one would have to be an idiot to attribute all violent crime to lead poisoning. That wasn't the point of the article. Keep calling names...I'm sure you will go far in life. Down the toilet.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And the fact that there was a dramatic reduction in crime in NYC, and an *increase* in Chicago and DC *should* have told you that lead pollution doesn't have very much, if anything, to do with crime rates.
But apparently you're not smart enough to figure that out.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You don't have enough data to make a causal claim in either direction

You haven't figured out the difference between correlation and causality, yet So you're really in NO position to make such remarks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I didn't. Norminn did, and I called her on it.

You're addressing those remarks to the wrong person, dolt. Pay more atttention to who's writing what in the future, and you won't look such a fool.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Actually she didn't That was you jumping forward But poor reading skills can do that.

You're the one trying to argue causality here Neither the article or the person posting it, made such a claim
And compared to you, even a rock is less foolish
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, I'm not. Work on that reading comprehension problem for a while before you post again.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Failure to answer the question noted. Again. You are a real dumbshit, Norma.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 01-01-2013 09:15, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

You don't find it interesting that a person can be smart enough to write an article, yet make you wonder whether he can find the floor?
<http://tinyurl.com/cyuyfbr
--
Wes Groleau

There are more Baroque musicians than any other kind.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Around 30 years or so ago lead paint was outlawed entirely. HOwever, there is still a lot of it left.

--
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late
to work within the system, but too early to shoot
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It will be years before lead levels fall to a safe level. Maybe even centuries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead#Health_effects
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

A victim of American capitalism.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.