Should the U.S. pull out of Chicago ?

Page 4 of 8

I didn't see anyone here suggest that you copy the entire article. I did see at least a couple of us ask a very simple question. A question that you have yet to answer. From what you posted, it's suggested there is a link between leaded gasoline and crime rates. So, inquiring minds want to know, how is that possible, given that some cities, like NYC, have low crime rates, while others, like Chicago have high crime rates? Are they still using unleaded gas in Chicago? Now, if you've read the article, that should be easy to answer. No posting of the entire article required.

There is a lot of online "information" that upon even cursory examination doesn't make sense. Hence, the above question about NYC and Chicago and how ANY link to leaded gasoline can be rationally drawn.

Since you read the article..... No, wait, you later said you didn't read the whole thing...... Whichever it is, since you made the post suggesting a link between leaded gasoline and crime, yet can't explain how that's possible given the widely differing crime rates in Chicago and NYC, I'd suggest maybe you're the one with diminished brain capacity.
You're a typical lib. Bring up some crap that makes no sense, because it suggests an excuse for criminals that you're so found of. Yet when someone comes up with the simplest question that goes to it's credibility, you're totally defenseless and won't even answer it.
HUGE SNIP

Doug & T4-
The article is 72 pages...I've only read 1/2, it ain't all that easy to digest.
Upon a first of the first half, the argument seems to have merit.
But your questions about NYC vs DC vs Chicago are valid and I have not gleaned the answer from what I've read. The aritcle does speak about permanently contaminated soil that provides high levels of current residents to despite the end to leaded gas use. Perhaps the means of exposure?
I'll admit, I was skeptical about lead being the culprit but the lowering of lead use (leaded gas), lowering of level blood levels & the lower of crime do seem to correlate (with a ~20 year offset).... causation? thats another question.
Poverty, lead exposure, bad parenting, bad role models and crime can be all intertwined, hard to tease out the causation from mere correlation.
Note that the timing of the leaded gas phase out varied from state to state.
here is a timeline for lead usage
http://66.147.244.135/~enviror4/about/ethyl-leaded-gasoline/lead-history-timeline /
I dont have all the answers but this lead thing appears plausible
cheers Bob

So how come crime went way down in NYC and is still sky-high in Chicago and DC?
And why won't you answer that question?
On 1/1/2013 1:02 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Read the article :o)

Neither the author of the article nor I claimed that lead poisoning was THE sole cause of crime.....merely a statistical correlation in the rise and fall of both. OBVIOUSLY, crime rates bear on numerous factors.

Why won't you answer the question?

But that's not true. OBVIOUSLY. Since crime fell dramatically in NYC, and did not do so in Chicago, DC, Detroit, or any number of other cities, there is OBVIOUSLY NOT a "statistical correlation."
So why won't you answer the question? Why did crime go way down in NYC but is still sky- high in Chicago and DC?
On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 21:33:14 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Don't be so hard on the left hand wing nut. You know they never answer direct questions but instead dance as fast as they can.
I'll bet you a beer he never does answer the question. OK?

I won't take that bet. BTW, "Norminn" is a woman.

all the more reason *she* won't answer<g>
On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 23:53:04 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Oh, that explains a lot of it.
On 1/1/2013 4:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Since you know all of the answers, why not enlighten us all? I haven't made a major study of crime in Chicago and NYC. Have you?

How come crime went way down in NYC and is still sky-high in Chicago and DC?
And why won't you answer that question?
On 1/1/2013 8:51 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I don't know. I do not pretend to know. Perhaps they have more jails in NYC. The crime stats, alone, were not the reason I mentioned the article. If you get off your high horse and quit demanding answers to obtuse questions, you might learn something besides calling names and making judgemental arguments that are completely out of context.

PMS?
On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 20:51:39 -0600, Gordon Shumway

I bet that question goes unanswered too.

Oh, bullsh*t. You pretended to "explain" the drop in crime in NYC by the disappearance of leaded gasoline.

Garbage. You mentioned it *in a discussion on crime*.
Bottom line: you posted a bullsh*t statement that you *know* was bullsh*t, got caught, and now you're backpedaling away from it as fast as you can.

I haven't done any name-calling in this thread.
Not until now, anyway: now I'm calling you a liar.
On 1/1/2013 10:35 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I can almost laugh at your idiotic interpretations and replies. Almost. You are really, really pathetic.

And I *am* laughing at your idiotic inability to answer one simple question. You are really, really stupid.

The question may be "simple" But the answer is not And only a simpleton or a liar is stupid enough to imagine that all "simple" questions automatically have "simple" answers. Which are you ?

If you had been paying attention to the thread from the beginning, you wouldn't be so confused now.
Or maybe you would. You're not very smart.

I have been paying attention and ulike you, I'm pretty clear on what was posted Maybe you should go back and ACTUALLY read the original material There was NO >>causality<< claimed, as you are trying to imply.

I'm probably a lot smarter than you, sonny At least I know the difference between simple correlation and causality You apparently haven't reached that level yet.