Should switches/outlets/wiring nuts be wrapped in electrical tape?

I know that according to code and according to (most) manufacturer instructions there is no need to wrap the terminals of switches or outlets with electrical tape or to reinforce wiring nuts with tape.
On the other hand, if you have the time, is it still a good idea from a safety and belt-and-suspenders perspective to apply a layer of tape?
[It seems to me that adding tape to outlets/switches just minimizes the risk that the terminals will rub up against something metal (or skin) while taping over wiring nuts just decreases the risk that they will pull off if you get to agressive in pushing or pulling the wires into the box.]

Personally I hate electrical tape....Electrical connections exhibit heat and tape peels off when heated....so much for my rant! I'm sure some of the electricians on this NG are going to let me have it with that comment....ready for a whippin'....Ross
Ross Mac posted for all of us....

ahh kinky kind of guy aye?
--
Tekkie

You're right; in my experience, the tape doesn't peel; instead, it sort of gels itself into and around whatever it's wrapped around. It sounds like you use soft rubber tape that can be stretched and that you stretch it to near it's limit as you apply it. Which, by the way, can also LOOSEN a wire nut, depending on the wrap direction of the tape.
One should not be so p-h-i-l-o-p-o-L-e-m-i-c

Trust me...30 years in the electronic biz, I know how to use tape but just don't. I always prefered shrink tube....Whether the tape is vinyl or cloth, it peels under heat, gums everything up......so much for my rant!...Ross
There are 2 types of electrical tape. The cheapo 49 cent stuff is dangerous because it can burst into flames. Professional grade tape like Scotch 33 is fire retardant.
There is a time and a place for electrical tape. A large device in a small metal box sometimes needs to be wrapped to prevent accidental contact between the terminal screw and the side of the box.
Mr Fixit eh
Cheap will burst into flames? Only if you put a match to it.
could you use a torch instead of a match?
Mr Fixit eh wrote:

From what ignition source?

If it does, the box it in isn't big enough for the device...
Greetings,
I wouldn't wrap the wire-nuts no matter how much free time I had.
Wrapping sockets might not be a bad idea. Tenants, etc break plastic outlet covers from time to time and a wrapped socket is slightly harder to electrocute yourself with.
Hope this helps, William

William Deans wrote:

It also helps a little when the screws should loosen up and let the fixture slip sideways or tild in the box. I've seen wires bent and strips long enough that the wires can actually touch the box if it slips sideways just a bit. There isn't a lot of room on the sides sometimes, depending on the switch type and mfg and box size. Especially GFCI's when they first came out.
Pop

I like taping terminal screws on recepts and switches, but not wire nuts. I've talked to inspectors, one said he sees tape on a wire nut, he can't see if any exposed conductor, so he'll remove it to see. Which will make him unhappy, and you want an unhappy inspector.
later,
tom @ www.ChopURL.com

non metallic boxes, I do not, ever. Really full metal boxes, sometimes. I try to avoid really full boxes of any construction. Your doing the work you get to decide.