should roofing nails be rusting this fast???

I'm watching guys replace the roof on an adjacent building in my condo complex. After a weekend rain, the nails they're using are notably rusted. Seems like a bad thing to me, but is this normal or a sign of substandard materials?? ???? Should I call it to the attention of the property manager??

Reply to
higgins

yeah inform the management, idiot roofers may be using sub standard materials..

Reply to
hallerb

All the roofing nails I've seen looked like aluminum to me... No rust after MUCH exposure to moisture.

Reply to
Noozer

in areas completed normally no nails should be visible..

Reply to
hallerb

Must only be subroofing that was all that was down before the rain if there are nails showing to begin with. They'll all be covered up w/ the final layer and be dry. I'd not be overly concerned about bright nail in that application.

Reply to
dpb

Yes, IMO, roofers should only be using stainless steel nails.

Reply to
scott21230

......or galvanized

Reply to
Eibach

Try to look at the box the nails came in. If it says made in China I would suspect poor galvanizing. I am always suspicious of stuff made in China. When my 20 year old roof was replaced the old nails had little rust. I live on the east coast so they were exposed to plenty of moisture.

Reply to
Jeff

Galvanized nails suck and shouldn't be used outdoors. I'ev seen lots of them rust.

Eibach wrote:

Reply to
scott21230

Not necessarily. There are electroplated, and there are hot-dipped. The latter survive much much longer. Uh ... indoors there should be no need for galvanized. Then where would you use them?

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Why can you see the roofing nails? aren't they supposed to be covered by roofing?

Reply to
Goedjn

They'll last longer than the shingles will.

Reply to
Goedjn

That's what people used to say about stuff made in Japan once. I'm guessing that someone used to say the same about stuff made in the US once upon a time too :)

Reply to
Jimbo

People said that about Japan for a couple of reasons. One, they were prejudiced and needed an excuse to critcise them. Two, the Japanese were literally coming out of the dark ages in terms of manufacturing and engineering. It took time for the Japanese to catch up, and it also took time for racists to find another target. I don't think the situation in China is the same however. The racism is undoubtedly there, but unlike in Japan the Chinese are not coming out of the dark ages. They have had the techniques and skills necessary to develop and design quality goods. They simply don't because their buyers in the US don't want quality goods - they want cheap goods.

Reply to
Eigenvector

So, what country is producing a good quality roofing nail these days? Are they even manufactured in the USA any more?

Reply to
lwasserm

thx, folks. I'll make the phone call.

Reply to
higgins

So, what country is producing a good quality roofing nail these days?

The USA got out of producing stuff years ago. Thats why there are millions of abandoned cargo containers here. They cost more to ship back than they are worth....

Heck we already paid for them:(

One day this will all come back to bite us BAD!

Reply to
hallerb

Hmmm, Rust? Aluminum nails are commonly used.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

you must be seeing the rosin coated sheathing nails, they are just plain steel and they have glue that is heat activated. they rust immediatley. i have never seen roof nails that weren't either electric galvanised or hot dipped galvanised in 35 years on the job. i dont think any manufacturer ever made plain steel roof nails. the best would be either maze double zinc coated or stainless steel........

are you the roof nail police?

Reply to
steve

"steve" wrote in news:6sATg.1075$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

LOL. My first thought too! Adjacent building and one can see rust on nails??? Binoculars? Telescope? Laser rust detector?

I noticed Harbor Freight sells shit roofing nails.

"Rust resistant zinc plated".

BTW, you would think after 35 years you could spell galvanized . But possibly you are using the UK spelling for good reason. Go ahead. Hit me with "are you the spelling police?".:-)

Reply to
Al Bundy