Should I replace a 9 year old furnace?

Page 2 of 2
Hi, My 9 year old(installed in '94) Carier furnace is still working like new. HSI was replaced 2 years ago which was only trouble I had. Tony
Steve wrote:

A properly installed, well-maintained modern furnace should last more than 20 years. Poorly installed, neglected equipment can fail in less than 5. With that said, your 9 +/- year-old Lennox is probably nearing it's halfway point. How long do you plan to stay in the house? If more than ten years, you might want to replace the furnace at the same time as your evaporator coil to take advantage of the labor savings. In my experience (20+ years, HVAC), Lennox equipment generally holds up well over time. But, ignition modules and blower motor replacements are not uncommon for any piece of equipment over ten years old, and can run several hundred bucks. Forget about efficiency payoffs and all that nonsense. Saving $50-$75/year on utilities will eventually offset the initial expense, but it's not a good enough reason to rip out a working appliance. A straight furnace replacement in 5-10 years will absolutely cost much more than the additional cost now.
Haggle with the contractor and do some research into who is best to use in your area. You have heat, so there's no rush. Winter months are historically much slower than summer for most gas guys, so you have a decided advantage timing-wise. Whatever you do, make sure you get the right job. It makes all the difference. Good Luck.
--
C.J.

Pull my pud to reply
My home is 10 yrs old the a/c started to leak this spring, I opted for a new furnace variable speed motor, and a 16 seer heat pump/ac 2 stage combo.
The furnace should last 20 yrs, I wanted the most efficiently I could get. I installed a Maytag 10 yrs parts and labor, on both units, best in the industry,
Tom

average),
For the last time...Maytags NOT got the best warranty... And for sure does not have the best unit.....not by a long shot. Hyundai went to a longer warranty too...but I damn sure wasnt gonna run out and buy one.

something
furnace

average),
Not exactly in your same situation, but my oil furnace is 29 years old (Weil-McLain) and still working OK. A bit noisy, a bit smelly at times, and the efficiency's pretty low, though. I'd wait on a 9 year old unit. We're selling our house in about a year, and we will replace the furnace before we go. A new Buderus or Weil-McLain Gold will set me back about $4000.
Jon E

average),
Ok..forget I am in the trade...
First thing to keep in mind...the furnace, will break. Not IF, but WHEN. Second thing..Lennox is complete utter no longer Amercian owned garbage. Hard to get parts, expensive parts, and in general, you can get better for the money.
Furnaces last more than 12 years....as long as it wasnt a Lennox Pulse...:) (really)
If your unit is that old, and I assume its gas, it will be more than likely, an 80% AFUE, meaning that for every dollar in fuel you burn, 20 cents at the least goes up the flue. Since you are getting a new condensor(outdoor unit for the AC) and a new evaporator (part above the furnace) does it not make sense to replace the furnace at the same time, since the labor will be much less now, you will get a new parts warranty, and have the benefit of knowing the systems completely matched, and designed to work together? Look into a 94% or higher unit. A little extra work will need to be done, like honest to God PVC intake and exhaust flues going outside, but its well worth it long term.
http://www.hvacware.com/user-cgi/hvaconfig.pl

average),