Should I pay

Hi. About two years after our extension was built, the end roof tile came off and slid onto the roof...thank god it did`nt fall onto someone or something or the following question would be slightly different!! The question is, should my original builder fix it for nowt (bad workmanship etc...) or will I need to pay? The original tile is intact and just needs PROPERLY cementing on ...10 min job!!

How long was the warranty on the job? If the warranty is over, he has no obligation to make the repair although it might be good business sense to do so.
IMHO, after two years, any manor of "acts of nature" could have affected the integrity of the roof. I would contact the installer, politely ask him how he would be willing to deal with it

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

If there was no agreed upon warranty, then I suggest you contact him and maybe he will cut you a deal. The problem could be from his work or the material, or weather etc..
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

After two years, a number of conditions could cause the problem. Unless the original contract warrantees the work for two years, I would expect to pay. If he did the original work well, for a satisfactory price, I would be inclined to expect the same again. Might be a good idea to arrange an inspection of the whole roof, especially if you have had rough weather. Having an established work relationship can be handy when emergencies arise.
One of the biggest surprises in my life was discovering after near-hurricane force winds that concrete roof tiles can blow away. Wow!
Tiles on roofs I have repaired have nail holes and are nailed to last hundreds of years.
m Ransley wrote:

Here in FL they take about 10 minutes to rust.
On 12 Jan 2007 01:32:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

IMHO, Depends....
Do you have a warranty? In writing? Is it possible that in 2 years that wind, sun, rain, could have caused the tile to fail prematurely? Have you had people walking on your roof? Hail? etc, etc, etc.
Just pointing out, many factures are at play here, to narrow down the builder is at fault.
Just a suggestion, call the builder explain the problem, and ask how you should proceed. Sometimes a tradesperson will be very friendly to preserve their rep, and maybe hope in return a good word of mouth advertisement.
Good luck with what you do, please keep us informed.
tom @ www.Texas-VOIP.com
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies. To let you know, I paid the builder to put the tile back up. However, as pointed out, there are a lot of factors here and points to learn.... I wasn`t sure of my warranty and obviously now was too late to be talking about that! In future, I`ll always ask for warranties on work done or moreover, before work starts! The builder should, in my opinion, have repaired it for nothing (what ever the factors that caused the tile to fall off...two years seems to short a life to me!). Sadly for the builder, I wil no longer be recommending him. So basically, the cost of replacing the tile has cost him his reputation in our eyes....completely different builder to the one that did the job in the first place.
Now, if the tile had hit one of my children ,we`d be talking in a diffferent language....or at least the police/local authorities would be talking to him..............
Tom The Great wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

If you bought a used car that had new brakes put on it two years ago and you did not get a written warranty and if you had a accident yesterday because of a brake failure, you would not be able to go back the the mechanic unless you could prove they did something outrageous.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Mmm.....similar senario.... I guess bad workmanship is hard to point a finger at...unless solid proof is found. Oh yes, you picked another industry full of cowboys too...mechanics!! Before I get flamed, there are all so good ones but its the ones that provide decent aftercare that are in the rarity!!
Joseph Meehan wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

You should be arrested for endangering your children with that shanty! Why people like you insist in living in such eye sores, in beyond the stretch of the imagination.
Shame on you, you bloody idiot.
What are you going on about? Have you been drinking or not the full shilling or something? SNOB Hummer@UK wrote:

| Hi. About two years after our extension was built, the end roof tile | came off and slid onto the roof...thank god it did`nt fall onto someone | or something or the following question would be slightly different!! | The question is, should my original builder fix it for nowt (bad | workmanship etc...) or will I need to pay? The original tile is intact | and just needs PROPERLY cementing on ...10 min job!!
in the UK who gives a tile flying Fu(k
walk on home boy.............................."Pantera"