Should I Hire a Locksmith?

Page 2 of 4
Jack wrote:

The contractor only needs a key to one door. That lockset can be keyed after the fact, but the other locksets should be keyed alike at the time of purchase. It's cheaper and faster that way.
RicodJour wrote:

Pin sets are available for < $50. You can re-key the locks yourself.

Might be a good idea, if there are two locks on the front door, for example, to have them different. That way you can leave the door locked with one lock, and give a temporary visitor or contractor one key, while never giving out the key that fits all the other locks.
Or that might be a nuisance.
The burglar alarm might have the same feature, if there is one. Have to think about all this...
snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com says...

Almost every alarm system out there has the capability of programming multiple entry codes.
As a locksmith, I reccomend to my customers that I make a separate key that works only the knob locks and the insides of any double deadbolts. So they can give said key to contractors, or leave it in the inner cylinder of the deadbolt.
Amazing, if you just call a competent locksmith so many things in your life will be easier.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

then leave ONE (not re-keyed) for the contractors use and rekey that one at the end.
my2 -- "Key" ---snip---

those numbers on them. Every shipping lot includes several multiples of the same keying, enough for an average house. You may have to wait until the weekly shipment comes in, and have them hold X entry sets for you, with the same number on the box. I redid all 3 entry doors on this place when I bought it, with grade 2 Schlages, and had no problem getting keyed alike. 3 knobs, 3 deadbolts, all the same keys. Of course, installing locksets was one of the first chores they put me on as a kid, so DIY was no problem for me. I think the hardware came to a little over 100 bucks- not the cheapest, but also not the super-fancy ones with the frills. It's just a damn doorknob, after all.
aem sends....
"ameijers" wrote in message:

And you don't see a problem with the local Home Depot sellling literally thousands of locksets all with the same small group of key codes on them ??? Gee, I hope your neighbor didn't buy his locks there too... Imagine the possibilities there...
I guess I'm used to dealing with larger homes. I rekey homes (when I actually do residential which is very rare) in my area that have had 25-30 locks on them. Sure, take my advise as stated earlier if you can buy them all keyed alike, and then have them rekeyed at the end.
Like I said, I don't do residential very often. I stick with the 20-50 story office buildings. I'm a commercial locksmith, not a residential locksmith. But in the past, when I or my family/friends have been in this position, this is what I've recommended and its worked rather well.
BTW, just one more suggestion. When you have your house rekeyed for the final time, on your front door, have the locksmith master key the knob (NOT THE DEAD BOLT). This will allow you to issue a special key to a house keeper, contractor, friend, etc., that will allow them to get into the house as long as you have left the deadbolt unlocked. In otherwords, if you want that special person to get in, then they can, if you don't then they won't. It also allows that if you've given that special key out and its gotten lost, then you only have one lock to key rather than the entire house. And no, HD or lowes won't be able to do this, only a locksmith can do this.
It's certain circumstances as the one mentioned above that sets Locksmiths apart from retail establishments and other low paid people. You get what you pay for. If you ask for the cheapest locksmith, then you will get just that. Otherwise, if you hire a professional, then you will get just that. BTW, there are other tricks to keying residential that are extremely beneficial to the end client in the long run. Knowledge is power, and power is money. Therefore education and experience is key to success.
Just my 2 cents worth. Take it for what its worth.
Jack Wynn Allied Lock & Security, Inc. Atlanta, GA

BTW, I AM referring to the grade 3 ONLY, both KW and Schlage. A grade 2 Schlage is entirely a different matter, and would be my first choice. --Shiva--

pull 3 matching packs out of the pile at random, and pay cash. Short of somebody having a list of what was on the shelf, and either recognizing me or following me home, how are they gonna have clue one as to what knobs to buy to get matching keys, or what house they go to? While not expensive, the cost is also not trivial. Somebody that does breakins for a living is just going to go around back and jimmy the slider, or put a boot to the side garage door so he can get inside and open the kitchen door at leisure. Residential locksets protect against idiot kids, and crimes of opportunity, not professional thieves. I've been robbed before- it is just stuff. Take common-sense precautions, but don't lose sleep over it. If you need fancy alarm systems and medeco locks, that is mother nature's way of saying Move Someplace Else.
aem sends...

I have lived in my house for 20 years now and I think I have locked my house 3 times.
I don't even know if I have a key(s) to the doors or not.....
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

I want to...errr...mail you something...yeah, that's it. I need to mail you something and I don't have your address.
Also I remember you saying you were going on vacation. That's great! Where are you going again....and when?
;)
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

where exactly is this house

I figured someone would ask that!
;-]
No really: I have a retired couple on either side of me and they are NOSEY! Even if I have a friend come by (when I'm not there) they will give them the third degree....
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

and frequently leave car keys in the ignition.
coorslte wrote:

More years ago than I care to mention, the family went to Friendship, WI for vacation and rented a cabin. A rowboat came with the price but no motor; some other vacationers told us where to find the store that rented motors. We showed up there and on our turn, the old lady told us it was four dollars a day, how long did we need it? We said five days, she wanted twenty dollars. Dad, surprised, asked if she didn't need a deposit. She looked him squarely in the eye and said, "Why, ya gonna steal it?"
Or, at a big box, go for one of the better entry sets, sold as part of a group, keyed-alike. Works for me- tossed lots of keys, and use one now.
At the very worst, installing such a lockset, with holes at least partly cut, is a minor carpentry exercise in hand chiseling. Do consider attaching striker to jambs with loooong deck-screws. The ones made from reasonably tough steel.
HTH, J

depends on the consturction.
--
"Key"
"To the world you may be one person,
On 12 Jan 2006 07:07:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote:

It's been 22 years since any problem here, but the first summer went out for dinner at about 6 on a Sunday and came home at 8.
The front door had been kicked in. Stayed home the next day and repaired the damage to the door and frame, and finished installing the burglar alarm.
I put in the longest screws I could get in the strike plates, to reach not just the door frame but the stud that was beyond it. I still suppose it can be kicked in, but so far so good.
And the elephant repellant is working also.