Should I get a new furnace?

Need some advice:
- My central AC unit is on it's last leg, it's at least 25 years old, the original from the house, and I am suprised it lasted through the summer. It's rusty, noisy, and likely not efficient.
- The furnace is 10 years old (1993), and still works good, but some portion above the furnace (I think A coil) needs to be replaced to match the new AC uint. There is no access panel in the duct work, so they basically have to make one. And I also need a new humidifier.
At least a few people have told me it's always best to get BOTH furnance and the AC done at the same time so they are a matched pair, and properly installed. I don't know too much about heating and cooling except I know I need an AC unit.
Advice is welcome.

Its not...its a power sucker...I can guarantee that..

portion
AC
So..the coil was kinda hacked in...shame..

and
When you match the AC to the air flow capability of the new furnace, you get your best bang for the buck. Todays newer systems are designed to work with matching units. Period. You get your best savings when the units are matched and mated correctly to insure that every dime being spent to run the equipment is not being wasted. On a 10 year old furnace, it should need minimal work, if its been maintained properly over the last 8 years. If not, chunk it as well, and find a company that will service the things once they install them, and put your comfort first... The largest worry here, would not so much be the furnace, but matching the A coil, and the new AC unit are a proper match, and of course, mached to the airflow of the furnace.

Just went thru this same situation. We went ahead and had a new heat pump and backup furnace installed. So far, we are real happy with both. Have only had the furnace on just to make sure it works. Our electric bill has really dropped with the new heat pump.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner
Just had a new heat pump a/c furnace installed this week, my house is 10 yrs old, heat pump has been heating the house the rooms are all comfortable, no temp difference from room to room
I am leaveing the fan on 24-7.low speed.
The furnace is a variable speed, the heat pump 16seer.
Tom

portion
AC
and
Depends what kind of old furnace. Many of the ones from ten years ago were really great. Some were old klunks.
What did your furnace guy say? I'm betting he says to replace it and pay him.
I'm thinking that if your heat exchanger rots out, it's going to be a PIA to put the coil on a new furnace and redo the sheet metal work. But the savings in gas surely won't pay for the new furnace.
So, it's a coinflip. Rough change out, versus more cost now? Me, I'd likely keep the old one as long as it lives.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus