Should I empty the bathtub?

I live in upstate NY and my house is heated with a furnace. The air in my house is slightly on the dry side during the winter. When someone takes a hot bath in the house should the hot water be left in the tub till it cools down? It seems that if it were then it would contribute both heat and moisture to the house. Thanks , Richard

Reply to
rgoldste

Interesting question. Yes, it will contribute a bit of both. Weigh that against having dirty water sit and settle in the tub making cleaning more difficult though. I think gains will be minimal.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I wouldn't want to clean your tub! There are better ways to increase humidity (plants, pebble trays, cooking pasta/soup, indoor clothes line, etc).

Reply to
Phisherman

I couldn't never soak in my own filth, let alone let the poo water evaporate all over the home.

Reply to
Kbalz

*couldn't ever
Reply to
Kbalz

He never said anything about bathing in the same water again. If you disagree, please point out where you think he said that.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:00:24 -0800 (PST), Kbalz wrote Re Re: Should I empty the bathtub?:

For an ESL you are doing fairly well.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

You must be one filthy S.O.B. If you "poo" in your bathtub, you really need to speak with your mother and have her potty train you to use the toilet.

"Poo" does not evaporate. It will just sit in your tub until your mother cleans up the mess you made.

As far as leaving the water in the tub in winter, I have done this for years. Why waste the heat, and the humidity is helpful. I never found tub cleaning to be any worse than if I drain it while water is still hot. There might be a few bits of hair left on the bottom which easily washes down the drain, and the tub gets it's usual cleaning with a little tub cleaner. No biggie.

Reply to
nun-o-ur-business

Cleaning it as you finally do empty it may even be easier since the dirt will be softened.

Reply to
Bob F

I think if I did my math right, if 40 gallons of water start at 100 degrees and it cools to 70 you saved 13 cents based one therm of gas costing $1.14.

PS I have no idea how much a therm goes for these days.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

I've seen a system lately that will wrap around your drain pipe and extract the heat for drain water (shower or tub) and converted to more heat.

I don't have the link now but if its worth selling a system I think leaving the water in the tub is a great idea! With my crackling dry hands I could use the little extra humidity myself. cln

Reply to
cln

The device you mention needs flowing input water at the same time as the warm water exits. It thus will work well for showers, but not baths.

Reply to
Bob F

I did a similar set of calcs & came up with something in the 15 to 20 cent range

so the total benefit depends on how often the OP uses the tub.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Hmmm, My gosh! Install a power humidifier and get it over with.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

the whole family needs to use the same bathwater for about 3 weeks.

Reply to
Czlowiek

Poo water doesn't physically mean I dropped a duece in it.. Its just slang for nasty water.. get with it.

Reply to
Kbalz

Of course, the water coming out of the shower will be colder, and if you want the same temp coming out, you'll use more hot water. There is no free lunch!

Reply to
Larry Bud

Um, no. Maybe you want to read again, once more for comprehension. =20 ;-) Sounds like a scam though.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

If you understood the device he talks about, you'd know otherwise.

Reply to
Bob F